Excessive oil usage? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2006, 07:27   #1 (permalink)

biggrin Excessive oil usage?

I bought an F-150 XLT, 5.4 l, V8 in September of 2004. I have 32,800 miles on now and have the oil changed every 3,000 miles. The last two times I noticed that in between oil changes I had to add a quart of oil. The gauge in the panel never showed that I was low on oil. I just wondered about the chuck-chuck-chuck noises early in the morning. So I checked the oil and sure enough - I was low. I don't tow any kind of trailer and I do not haul stuff either. Once I take the truck in to the dealer for the next upcoming maintenance I will mention this and will ask for the engine to be checked to rule out any kind of leak. I have not noticed any oil where I park. I also checked all around the engine block and I do not see any oil leaking from a blown gasket or such. I have noticed however that the engine appears to be running hotter than it used to be. The temperature gauge used to show the needle at the first notch, now it shows at the second notch (half). I use the oil that is recommended in the manual (5W30).

Does anyone else have this problem? Any idea what could be causing this excessive oil usage?
karenoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2006, 20:31   #2 (permalink)

Re: Excessive oil usage?

The oil guage will never let you know about oil volume, it only measures oil PRESSURE which is a totally different integer...don't feel bad, MANY people have drawn the same conclusion.

But...the oil has got to be going somewhere. I don't know your location, so I am limited on options to give you. With so little milage, I'd try and bring it to a shop where they can hook it up to a computer...it can't hurt. Several places will do it for free...hoping to get your business for the repairs. Depending on where you live, that may not be the correct oil for you...just depends.

Also, did you check out the oil level immediately after having it changed? If for some reason, it wasn't full to start with, it wouldn't be full later on either. Some people (most shops) drain out the old oil, put in a pre-specified amount, and then never check the level on the dipstick.

Check it out and get back with us.

I'll try to help you however I can.
redneckf150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel