f 150 starting problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2005, 04:02   #1 (permalink)

f 150 starting problem

I have an odd and unfortuneately very persistent starting problem. I can start the truck just fine while cold. But once it heats up it simply will not start. you can try till you are blue in the face but all it does is rundown your battery and without even getting a full turn of the stsrter.

Now you are probly thinking this sounds like an altenator problem. I had it checked for both a charging problem an wheter or not it could be draining my battery it works in both respects. It was tested at 2 different shops that rebuild them.

The starter also works fine. I had it rebuilt and 3 different rebuilders say it it is fine.

All the wiring from the battery to starter is new including the starter relay. The voltage drop both on the entire circut as well as all pts in between are well within spec.

I also have put in a new ignition and ign switch but this was to fix a pwr drain caused by a faulty ign cylinder that would release the key while still in accessory. The truck reacts the same despite these changes.

I tried a new ign coill but got the same result.

So now that my essay of frustrating and fruitless attempts to quash this problem is done I now ask the question what can it be? Could I be looking at some problem with timing or in the ign module? Is this perhaps an idication of a partially seized engine? Has anyone encoutered this problem before? Or is there some crazy obscure relay or fus link or whatever that I may be overlooking?

I just find it funny how this problem only rears its ugly head once the engine compartment gets heated up. Any help would be appreciated...
Edit/Delete Message
wonderslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2005, 08:56   #2 (permalink)

Re: f 150 starting problem

if your vehicle has a distributor with the module on the side have it checked . it could be going bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderslug
I have an odd and unfortuneately very persistent starting problem. I can start the truck just fine while cold. But once it heats up it simply will not start. you can try till you are blue in the face but all it does is rundown your battery and without even getting a full turn of the stsrter.

Now you are probly thinking this sounds like an altenator problem. I had it checked for both a charging problem an wheter or not it could be draining my battery it works in both respects. It was tested at 2 different shops that rebuild them.

The starter also works fine. I had it rebuilt and 3 different rebuilders say it it is fine.

All the wiring from the battery to starter is new including the starter relay. The voltage drop both on the entire circut as well as all pts in between are well within spec.

I also have put in a new ignition and ign switch but this was to fix a pwr drain caused by a faulty ign cylinder that would release the key while still in accessory. The truck reacts the same despite these changes.

I tried a new ign coill but got the same result.

So now that my essay of frustrating and fruitless attempts to quash this problem is done I now ask the question what can it be? Could I be looking at some problem with timing or in the ign module? Is this perhaps an idication of a partially seized engine? Has anyone encoutered this problem before? Or is there some crazy obscure relay or fus link or whatever that I may be overlooking?

I just find it funny how this problem only rears its ugly head once the engine compartment gets heated up. Any help would be appreciated...
Edit/Delete Message
southern pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 20:14   #3 (permalink)
mxkilla426

if your truck is starting and then when it heats up and cuts offit will not crank till it cool look to see if there is a motorcraft module no your distributer if there is it may be the problem as the module heats from the distributer the circut board gets over heated and shuts down and when it cools it will work again for a short period of time try replacing it and see it is about 31 dollars i had the same prob
Old 10-21-2006, 18:16   #4 (permalink)

dude i have a 84 f150 replaced or checked everything, take your ign mod to have tested, the first thing i did was get battery test,tested fine just when i was giving up on my own ability i took it 2 a shop and of course they put it on testers(4) gave me a good deal because they found nothing, the pro blem was the battery only because it had less than 500 cold cranking amps ,man i feel so much better 2 have it fixed but i sure laid under that sob for hours nr
normreag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:23   #5 (permalink)

I can tell you that when my 1987 F150 4x4 w/302 did the exact same thing. Always started great when cool, even in the dead of winter. Just like the previous poster it turned out to be the battery. Don't ask me why. I banged my head against the wall trying to figure it out.
jdg60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 14:06   #6 (permalink)

My '88 5.0 was doing the exact same thing cold starts great; warms up no go till it cools down.

In my case it was the distributor was advanced too far. It ran fine but when shut off after being run up it didnt want to go.

One question though, does it seem to turn over hard when it is hot? Maybe something to check...
landscaperluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel