Ford Forums banner

F-250 electrical problems

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Rocketattack 
G
#1 ·
Help my truck keeps running the battery dead after sitting for two days. It is a '86 F-250 XLT with the 460cid. I have a Haynes manual but I can't understand the diagrams. They don't match the wiring in the truck and are very confusing. Anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram that is easier to understand? I had the battery checked at the local parts store and they said it was good. I even put in a new alternator. Also for some reason the ammeter doesn't register anything!? The reason I got a new alternator was because it had a GM alternator on it with a small bulb connected in the wiring. :wtf: is that all about? I removed the bulb and connected the wiring harness the way the manual says.

I pulled all the fuses, made sure everything it off and connected a bulb between the + of the battery and the wires that are on the starter relay ,one by one. I have narrowed it down to two wires but with out understanding what is printed in this Haynes manual I'm lost.

G
#3 ·
I pulled all the fuses that should make everything off and it still ran the battery dead after two days. The hood isn't shorting on the battery. If it did when I would shut it there would be sparks of some sorts.

#4 ·
there has to be something that you havent seen yet that is drawing power directly from the battery and not through the fuse block.like a signal wire for a stereo amplifier or something along that line.
is this fuel injected or carb.

G
#6 ·
Ok I found the problems sort of. 1. The horn button w/ cruise is shorted. 2. The courtesy/cargo lights circuit is shorted. If I pull the fuses for these two circuits the battery stays charged. I took the center out of the steering wheel to solve the horn short but the Haynes manual that I have is so screwed up that I can't tell what's what in the courtesy/cargo wiring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.