F-250 electrical problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2003, 18:25   #1 (permalink)
Rocketattack

F-250 electrical problems

Help my truck keeps running the battery dead after sitting for two days. It is a '86 F-250 XLT with the 460cid. I have a Haynes manual but I can't understand the diagrams. They don't match the wiring in the truck and are very confusing. Anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram that is easier to understand? I had the battery checked at the local parts store and they said it was good. I even put in a new alternator. Also for some reason the ammeter doesn't register anything!? The reason I got a new alternator was because it had a GM alternator on it with a small bulb connected in the wiring. is that all about? I removed the bulb and connected the wiring harness the way the manual says.

I pulled all the fuses, made sure everything it off and connected a bulb between the + of the battery and the wires that are on the starter relay ,one by one. I have narrowed it down to two wires but with out understanding what is printed in this Haynes manual I'm lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2003, 18:41   #2 (permalink)

Re: F-250 electrical problems

I would make sure nothing gets left on when out of the vehicle. Maybe the battery gets shorted when you shut the hood. Try out various things that may discharge the battery.
89F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 18:51   #3 (permalink)
Rocketattack

I pulled all the fuses that should make everything off and it still ran the battery dead after two days. The hood isn't shorting on the battery. If it did when I would shut it there would be sparks of some sorts.
Old 09-23-2003, 22:34   #4 (permalink)
97 F-150 XL 4x4

there has to be something that you havent seen yet that is drawing power directly from the battery and not through the fuse block.like a signal wire for a stereo amplifier or something along that line.
is this fuel injected or carb.
Old 09-23-2003, 22:52   #5 (permalink)

What about the ignition swithc, is that still in working order.
89F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 18:52   #6 (permalink)
Rocketattack

Ok I found the problems sort of. 1. The horn button w/ cruise is shorted. 2. The courtesy/cargo lights circuit is shorted. If I pull the fuses for these two circuits the battery stays charged. I took the center out of the steering wheel to solve the horn short but the Haynes manual that I have is so screwed up that I can't tell what's what in the courtesy/cargo wiring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel