F-450 dump 7.5 cam&distributor question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 23:07   #1 (permalink)

F-450 dump 7.5 cam&distributor question

i have a 1987 for dump with a V8 7.5L and the distributor keeps cracking, the mechanic down the street says the gears on the camshaft are bad and eatting away at the gears on the distributor, now i looked at the cam gears and they honestly look fine except for 1 tooth may not be perfect. but the trucks 20+ yrs old, its got 75k miles, yes less than 100k. now my question is the cam really bad enough to keep breaking the distributor or is the tech guy down the street trying to get some cash from me? if so must the cam be replaced? or was it a prob with putting in the distributor the wrong way? thank yah
superman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 08:20   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: F-450 dump 7.5 cam&distributor question

Where does the distributor crack? Is it in the same place? How long have you had the truck? Did it just start suddenly?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:27   #3 (permalink)

its my bosses truck, he had it for close to 10 yrs. it just started randomly, the truck wouldnt run and i adjusted the carb for him and it ran good for a day or 2 then wouldnt start, towed it to a mechanic and he said and replaced the distributor then we drove it away, down the street not even 1 mile the truck dies, wont start, we tow it back and he said the distributor was put in backwords or something so he had to get anotherone, same thing happened, not even a mile down the road and it stallls again, so we took it back and he said the gears of the cam are shot and causing it to crack the distributor, i havnt seen the distributor so i am not sure, but we towed it home and i took a look at it, the cam looks fine,
Old 10-06-2011, 14:43   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I would find a different mechanic to see wahts up. It doesn't sound right to me.
Old 10-06-2011, 20:49   #5 (permalink)

ok well thats not rele an option i guess, ive taken out the cam in my bosses garage, the gears are a little chewed up but not terrible, about 7 of the 20 so teeth look bad, not sure if thats what would cause it, but i guess since its already apart wouldnt hurt to replace it. now ive never before delt with the timing chain and shit so im not exactly sure how good im gonna do, ive got a hanes book and im taking it step by step, anything i should lookout and be extra careful with? and think i should replace the headgaskets while im doing this? also anything else i should replace? my boss wants the waterpump and heatercore and blower motor replaced. anything i should advise him i should replace? thanks
Old 10-06-2011, 21:29   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The parts you mentoned would be a good idea to change since you're in there. If chipset comes in, he'll have some good ideas for you. Post the mileage on the truck too.
Old 10-07-2011, 14:11   #7 (permalink)

76k or 176, not sure the odometer only has 5 numbers, i would imagine 176, but the engine was pretty clean considering i live in ny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel