F150 crank no start issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 09:29   #1 (permalink)

F150 crank no start issue

94 F150 5.0L dual tank p/u cranks but won't start. Checked for spark and have that. I checked the schrader valve and gas is present at the injectors. Battery is good as is the dizzy and rotor. It just cranks but never turns over. I had tapped the TFI (on fender) and my helper was just moving wires around under the column and either he or I did something to make it seem like it was going to turn over but it never did. I'm leaning towards the TFI being bad because everything needed is there (fuel, spark and compression). Maybe the ignition module underneath the steering column; would that cause a no start issue? plugs and wires are good. any help would be appreciated. thanks
nivwxozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 20:03   #2 (permalink)

Re: F150 crank no start issue

update f150 crank no start issue: 94 ford F150 2wd p/u 5.0L dual tank...cranks but won't turn over. have replaced the ignition control module (TFI) and the distributor cap as well as the rotor button. Got a good spark to a plug when tested on the block, have adequate fuel at the schrader valve and the battery is good. It seems like it wants to start and usually will crank around 3-5 times before it acts if it is going to fire then it falls back into the pattern of simply cranking. The only thing I now can come up with as possibly being the problem is that it jumped time. How would I check the timing and if needed adjust it to the proper order? thanks.
nivwxozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 13:52   #3 (permalink)

Year please.
IF it's one of the gazillions still on the road from mid '70-ish to late 90s-ish, you can BET THE RANCH that you have a mechanical failure INDIDE your steering wheel hub.

It'll be a broken pot-metal part, roughly shaped like a horseshoe - with the open end down.

That broken linkage fails to engage, via a pushrod, the ACTUAL ignition switch, which lies atop and centered above your steering column.

To test:

When you turn your ignition to the "on" position, your collection of dash-mounted "preflight check" lights come on, right? Look VERY closely (You might have to cup your hand to block out light.) for that tiny red "seatbelt warning" will NOT be on. Keep watching that "seatbelt" spot as you turn the key key to "start"............then turn it HARDER and "*dink*.
THERE'S that light! And darned if your truck doesn't start right up.

IF you own a Dremel tool and have no fear of using it, you can probably affect the repair yourself. You'll have to do a little judicious grinding away to make a new one fit without ABSOLUTELY "PERFECTING" your blue language skillset.

The solution:

NAPA stocks that part in my small (population 15k) town, and sold me one just a very few years ago for a whopping ten bucks.

Protip: Do NOT......discard your damaged "horseshoe" until AFTER you get your new one in and is CONFIRMED to work reliably. It won't hurt to have it in your pocket when you walk in to your favorite auto parts supplier.

Good luck. It ain't a HARD fix, but it IS kinda tedious. Beer served nicely as my helper.

geezer/geek/old fart-who-lives-in-a-cave-in-the-middle-of-a-central-Illinois-cornfield- Jimmj43
jimmj43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 20:34   #4 (permalink)
†Scourge†

could be the cause of no start is in the distributor or in the ignition module...
ndrewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel