F150 Reliability - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 08:15   #1 (permalink)

F150 Reliability

Hello All,

I am a graduate student at Stevens Institute of Technology in New Jersey. I am performing a reliability analysis for the F150. Originally I wanted to focus my study on the 1986 F150, however I have found that it is difficult to get information on this particular model year. If anyone has any data that they have kept on their vehical, whether it is a 1986 model or not, pertaining to failures in the Engine, Transmission & Driveline, Steering and Suspension, Brakes, Heating & Air Conditioning, Starting and Charging, or any accessory failure it would be helpful if you could share that with me.

Along with the failure, information on when the failure occured (i.e. after how many years of ownership/operation), what expense was involved in fixing the failure, how easily replacement parts were found, how long it took to get the problem repaired, etc. would also be welcome.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
34longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2008, 11:47   #2 (permalink)

Re: F150 Reliability

I've owned a 2002 F150 Fx4 for over 3 years now with no problems except sometimes trying to get it in four wheel drive. Other than that no problems..
lerry1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 18:54   #3 (permalink)
Gary

Re: F150 Reliability

OK, here's my contribution:

1987 F-150 4X4, 300 CID 6, 4 speed manual transmission, purchased new.
Traded in on new truck in 1993 with 39,999 miles on odometer. At time of trade-in rear u-joint needed replaced. No other problems.

1993 F-150 XLT Lariat, 300 CID 6, 5-speed manual, transmission, purchased new. Front brake pads replaced at 70,000 miles. Plastic radiator started leaking after 8 years at 120,000 miles. Ignition control module replaced at 9 years, 130,000 miles. Front suspension bushings replaced at 10 years, 140,000 miles. Left front universal joint (4-wheel drive component) replaced at 10 years, 145,000 miles. All parts readily available at local parts store. Traded in on new truck in 1/04 with 150,000 miles. No other problems with this truck.

2004 F-150 XLT (new style), 4.6 V8, auto transmisison, purchased new. Rear end rebuilt under warranty at 6,000 miles (about 6 months after purchase) to repair rear end whine. Rear end replaced at 8,000 miles for same problem. Truck was in shop for nearly 2 weeks waiting for parts. Truck in shop with vibration problem twice at 1 year and 11,000 miles. Dealer said this was normal for this truck, that all long bed trucks vibrate like this. Problem never solved. Truck in shop at 1 year 3 months and 12,000 miles for transmission shift problem (hunting for gear, seemingly shifting to neutral at will). Dealer could not find problem. Problem never totally solved, I was informed that this is "normal behavior" for this transmission. I still have the truck, unfortunately. I want my '93 back!!!
oshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 23:50   #4 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: F150 Reliability

My dad has a 1988 F-150. He bought it new. It just left him stranded on the side of the road two weeks ago for the very first time. The tie rod end was broken. He's had to replace the starter once and the heater coil six times. He's never had to have any major work done. IT HAS 408,000 MILES ON IT!!!!!!!!! I don't know alot about vehicles but I think that's pretty amazing. He does take extra special care of it, but it's still awesome that it's been THAT reliable.
smartgirlsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel