F250 stalls when placed in Reverse. Why? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 13:16   #1 (permalink)

F250 stalls when placed in Reverse. Why?

My 2000 F250 stalls when I shift from Park to Reverse about 80% of the time. It has an automatic transmission. I've taken it to the dealership 2 times. The 1st time they replaced the oxygen sensors, which temporarily solved the problem. A few months later, it was stalling again. The dealer explained during my 2nd visit that the transmission needed replaced or overhauled. I don't think this is accurate. Have any of you experienced this? Do you have any solutions?

Last edited by jeffcaj; 06-05-2008 at 13:25. Reason: spelling
jeffcaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2008, 20:17   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: F250 stalls when placed in Reverse. Why?

When you put it into reverse I'm sure the rpm's drop too much letting the vehicle stall out. It might be a torque converter problem - be sure though as you may not need to replace the transmission. Check with a few shops.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 21:16   #3 (permalink)
00gtr1

Re: F250 stalls when placed in Reverse. Why?

Make sure the trans fluid level is correct because this can cause similar problems. But the most likely problem is in the front pump of the Transmission. The TCC bypass valve is worn in the pump causing the TCC clutch to stay engaged. If you have tons of miles on it I would recommend a overhaul also. There is a aftermarket kits to update the pump to prevent these problems. (Trans-go). Replace the converter and install a Torqshift (from a 6.0 diesel transmission) Front seal. Or you can head to your local ford dealership and get a rebuilt transmission with 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. hope this helps.
00gtr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:24   #4 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: F250 stalls when placed in Reverse. Why?

I had the same problem with my F250 7.3 lately. I was not having any issues, but decided to get a trans service just because of mileage. During the service, I saw the trans magnet and there was almost nothing on it. Trans was in great shape and no concerns noted. After the service, it was running fine in drive, but in reverse the RPMs would drop real low. If I kept my foot on the brake when putting in reverse, it would drop RPM, but engage and then seem okay. If I took foot off the brake before it engaged, it would almost always stall out. Took it to Ford. Their tech sat in it, put it in reverse once, then said I needed to replace the Torque Converter. No other diagnostics. That will be $1200 thank you. I don't think so. I took it back to the trans service place and asked them to look into it. They took the pan back off and found out they installed the wrong trans filter. It was similar, but off just enough to change pressures when shifting. Don't know if they ordered wrong one, or parts house dropped off wrong one. Either way, got the correct filter put in and it runs like never before. No more low RPMs or stalling out.

It is a cheap thing to check on before a new trans, a torque converter, etc.
azfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel