F350 transmission problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 15:29   #1 (permalink)

F350 transmission problem

Need some help after pulling a long grade with a camper we stop and transmission fluid dumped on the ground. After letting it cool and replacing the fluid only reverse, 1st and 2nd gear are all that is working. I was told to replace the Throttle Position Sensor. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know if that is the right part to replace????
Stonewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2012, 15:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: F350 transmission problem

I'm new to this so if some one need more info please ask
Old 07-14-2012, 15:40   #3 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

First thing is scan for codes, they may clue you in on something. Second, after you ran it, did you check transmission level again?
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 17:08   #4 (permalink)

yes sure did and everything there is fine. Also everything seem fine just will not go pasted 2nd gear
Old 07-14-2012, 19:12   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

How about the codes?
Old 07-14-2012, 19:33   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

I'm inclined to think you're got something going on in the transmission, but since I'm not an auto mechanic, let's rule out what they say. Here's a link to troubleshoot the TPS, it.s easier to eliminate the TPS than to pull a tranny only to find out they were right.

How to Troubleshoot a Low RPM Throttle Position Sensor in a Ford | eHow.com
Old 07-14-2012, 20:40   #7 (permalink)

I'm in the middle of no where Idaho not sure how to get the code. The link you sent tell me to go under the hood but the part Napa sent me goes under the dash.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:43   #8 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
Need some help after pulling a long grade with a camper we stop and transmission fluid dumped on the ground. After letting it cool and replacing the fluid only reverse, 1st and 2nd gear are all that is working. I was told to replace the Throttle Position Sensor. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know if that is the right part to replace????
Now I'm confused... what did NAPA send you?
Old 07-15-2012, 06:53   #9 (permalink)

We where told that it was the Throttle Position Sensor so I ordered one. The one they sent doesn't fit so need to try to find out the number for the right one but it is the only one they list. This part goes under the dash. I sent the Ford Dealer in Bosie an email but won't hear from them until Monday. I'm just hoping this is the problem I'm 80 miles from anywhere (Atlanta, Idaho) so would hate to drive in 2 gear to get out of here. Just a few days ago there was another Ford truck here that the same thing happen to but after replacing the fluid his seem to working fine. I had hoped that someone would have had the same problem as me and could tell me that this was the problem (TPS). Right now I'm not sure where to even get one other than Ford no other site other than Napa seem to even list the part. I'm sure thankful your trying to help.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:07   #10 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

You never mentioned what year or engine you have, but any TPS I've seen, it's been on the throttle body. The test I sent doesn't require a scanner, but you do need a decent multimeter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel