Fan Shroud Question. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 11:51   #1 (permalink)

Fan Shroud Question.

I have a 1979 Ford F150. when i recieved it from my grand father it has a blown 351m in it, i bought a 400 and in the process of swaping the motors out, i broke my fan shroud, i noticed they are about 200 bucks, so i wanted to know if i NEED one or no, i mean can i run the truck without one, and without problems.
Grizeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2008, 08:32   #2 (permalink)
wwb

Re: Fan Shroud Question.

In very hot weather, or if you're towing a heavy load, you'll need the shroud, as it makes the radiator fan much more efficient. Light loads at moderate temperatures are no problem.

Have you checked any junkyards for a shroud? $200 sound kinda like a dealer price.
wwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:25   #3 (permalink)

its from LMC Truck and no, i have not checked junkyards yet, its cracked in one spot, im sure i could fix it, i just wanted to know if its worth it, to fix or to buy a new one of just to go with out, like i said its a 1979 and it has a 400 in it, but it already has an over sized radiator in it, and i have a smaller pulley on the fan, so it spins more than stock. well i say that but when i took the old motor out it had a bigger pully and i had a smaller one laying around so i use it, although it is a bigger motor, cause i went from the 351M to the 400, which i hear everything is the same except the crank, making it have a longer stroke... any more info would be helpfull on the shroud thing.
Grizeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 20:33   #4 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Fan Shroud Question.

If you didn't break the shroud to much you can repair it with a fiberglass repair kit and paint it with black satin paint. I broke my shroud and repaired it and you really have to look to find where I repaired it. You probably should run the shroud plus a fan and fan-clutch assembly also go back to the original pulley size. When you are driving down the street you don't even need a fan since plenty of air is going through the rad. The fan is only needed when you are standing still or driving slowly under 10 miles an hour. You need to remember that when you turn the fan faster you are also turning the water pump faster which takes more horsepower away from the rear wheels and if you are like me you want as much horsepower at the rear wheels as you can get. LMC has shrouds for $120 or $160 depending on which shroud you need plus shipping which is over $20.
ironhorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 22:08   #5 (permalink)
FF.com Administrator

I would repair or purchase another fan shroud as you would be surprised how much of a difference they can make. The shroud makes the fan pull the air through the radiator rather than simply pulling air in from around the edge of the fan. Very much needed when you are idleing at the traffic lights or similar to stop overheating. As ironhorse say's, when you are traveling at speed you can get air forced through the radiator but when slowed down you may get overheating without it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel