Ford Dually convertible to SRW - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 20:03   #1 (permalink)

Ford Dually convertible to SRW

Ive been looking at buying a f250-f350 Quad cab Long bed for a while now. I was only looking at SRW, but I am having a heck of a time finding the right one. Because there is not to many of them on the market. So...I had an idea. I find ALOT of dually's on the market with all the specs that I like, so why not do a DRW to SRW conversion. Thats possible. My idea...being able to convert back to a DRW setup for heavy hauling. What is you guys input on such a thing?
dpslusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 08:29   #2 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

Re: Ford Dually convertible to SRW

More expensive than buying a SRW. You'd have to remove the front wheel spacers, replace all 4 rims, the bed, & the rear axle.
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:52   #3 (permalink)

Why is there front wheel spacers?

How much wider is the axle compared to SRW?

Don't both sets of rear tires have offset rims, with one facing one way and the second facing the other?

By the way, this would be a 2001-03 7.3l diesel.
Old 03-29-2011, 22:24   #4 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

There are spacers on the front hubs so the same dished rim can be used as on the rear, and the front track is roughly the same. Without the spacers, the tires would rub the suspension, or stick out past the fenders and swing wider than the wheel arches when steering.

The axle is about the same width overall, but the wheel mounting surface is ~1' further outboard. This shows the difference:

Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 15:46   #5 (permalink)
canuck

If you don't want a dually, don't get one.

There are several one ton SRW trucks on the market here if you look for them. I can imagine there are some in your area as well if weight is a concern. A 3/4 ton diesel isn't good for real work other than towing a 5th wheel as payload is limited to around a ton, minus passengers..cargo...hitch...etc.

Doing a conversion can also bring a waft of paperwork and insurance problems. Not saying it can't be done as I've seen a few SRW trucks with a dually bed. Not to say that they didn't buy a dually bed to put on their SRW truck. The biggest concern here is weight. If you plan to run it heavy, you're best not to convert to SRW only because the DOT will nab you sooner or later... Or worse, should you get into an accident and be overweight with either GAWR, GCWR or GVWR you'll get charged for the accident even if its not your fault as you were running illegal.

Axles and wheel spacers are the least of your concern here. Tire capacity is one. You should NOT run tires on dually trucks single on the rear. This is why SRW trucks generally have wider (and slightly taller) tires with greater load capacities. Changing tires will also affect your speedo.

If you do plan to haul heavy stick with the dually and bite the additional cost in fuel and maintenance as you'll save more, even a life or two, down the road.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 21:21   #6 (permalink)

I didn't even think of the DOT problems I could run into. I just thought its a neat concept to just pull off the outside duals and the "removeable" fenders for wide flares and you have yourself a SRW truck. Then when your pullin heavy, you swap it back.

You see, this wouldn't be a daily driver, probably just a few times a month. A few times a year for hauling heavy loads. What is the tow and load capacity of both the SRW and the DRW?
Old 04-04-2011, 05:00   #7 (permalink)
canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpslusser View Post
I didn't even think of the DOT problems I could run into. I just thought its a neat concept to just pull off the outside duals and the "removeable" fenders for wide flares and you have yourself a SRW truck. Then when your pullin heavy, you swap it back.

You see, this wouldn't be a daily driver, probably just a few times a month. A few times a year for hauling heavy loads. What is the tow and load capacity of both the SRW and the DRW?
With the diesel engine the payload difference is about 2000lbs over the SRW variant to around 4400-4600lbs. To get payload, fuel it up, take the GVWR and subtract the weight of the vehicle at the scale. Gas engine weighs less, thus higher payload by 300-600lbs.

You'll have to shop around as with Ford trucks, depending on the cab, weight ratings will vary. Crew cab? That'll cut into usable payload. Newer variants remain close between cab configurations, but you still lose payload.

You can phone your local DOT office to confirm if you are required to take a dually truck through a truck scale. I know in Ontario it's mandatory only if you're carrying commercial goods. Not to say they still can't pull you over... better to be safe than sorry.
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 04-04-2011, 11:00   #8 (permalink)

Im probably just gunna keep an eye out for a 350 7.3 Quad cab Long bed SRW. Like I said, im not in any hurry, and this will be a truck id have till it dies.

Would it be a good idea to put helper bags or a heavier ply tire on?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:06   #9 (permalink)
canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpslusser View Post
Im probably just gunna keep an eye out for a 350 7.3 Quad cab Long bed SRW. Like I said, im not in any hurry, and this will be a truck id have till it dies.

Would it be a good idea to put helper bags or a heavier ply tire on?
Most one ton trucks, dually or SRW come with 'E' rated tires. E rated tires are 8 ply in most cases and the are the strongest you can get. If you want load capacity stick with a 31-32" tire on the smallest rim possible. Taller sidewall equates to more strength. If the truck comes with 16" wheels...stick with that. Lower tire cost and lower weight than going with larger wheels than necessary.

You can check around at local fleets in your area, from highway crews to landscapers as they're always upgrading their equipment - for the most part. If you spot one on the road phone the company and ask them to call you when they're ready to sell. Knowing people in the industry also helps of course, so ask relatives.
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 04-04-2011, 11:15   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input. I'll keep an eye out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel