Ford Forums banner

a ford f-150 that won't run right

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  351w 
#1 ·
I have a problem getting a 82\83 f-150 to run when got it it had no wires on it so i got new wires and plugs put them on useing the firing order on the intake which i got a big boom so switch it 180 same thing then checked to see if the dizzy was set wrong but that was not it because when i set the crank at zero it was at it was suppose to be i used a 302 firing order and i got it to run but it has no power and dies when i put it in gear. the first firing order was for a 351 it has a to barrell intake . points in the dizzy . i checked to see if the valves were off but they seem ok and the motor looked very clean to what figured to be . What else could it be? how can i tell what motor it is ? could there be a fireing order that i don't know and what is it? put new points in it too. still don't run like it what if any body outthere knows please i need some help to get this truck to go down the road i am about to roll it down a hill and set this problem to a firery grave

#2 ·
ummm. there is a certian way you must cross the wires when instaling so that the electricity in the wires dosent go to another wire. ask a certified mechanic, and they'll explain it to you. basically, you just dont plug a wire on the dizzy and put the wire to the corresponding cyl. you must cross one of the wires on each side under them all. hope this helps

#3 ·
with the little info you gave there is no way of telling what your problem could be so you need to diagnose this thing and tell us whats goin on.
you say it has points so is the dwell and timing all set right !
are all the vacuum lines hooked up and are you sure the vacuum advance works on the distributor.
my guess is the timing and or dwell is wrong and that is why you have low power and it stalls when engaged into gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.