Fuel Pump Inertia Switch -- Tripped? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 20:44   #1 (permalink)

Fuel Pump Inertia Switch -- Tripped?

Please see picture -- taken of my 1989 F-250, just to the left of the clutch pedal on the interior, this is what I assume is the 'inertia switch'. We just got truck back after fuel pump work and it was running nicely, for about 50 miles. . . then dies.

New front (high pressure) fuel pump and new rear tank fuel pump, as well as fuel selector valve/switch (OEM/Ford part). No fuel pressure at the fuel rail/schrader valve. Disconnected supply line of rear tank (yes, switch in "rear" fuel tank position), turned power on, no sound from rear fuel pump, and subsequently no fuel flows out aforementioned disconnected supply line.

Something told me to check the 'inertia switch', but I can't find anything in forum to tell me WHAT a tripped one looks like. In my picture herein, I tried to 'reset' by pushing down on the red button (as it looks 'tripped' to me).

Question: How do I reset? Does this red button push back down or pull up? I don't want to force it either way, but it does not easily want to push back in, making me think this is in the operate/normal position.

Any suggestions that could move me toward further troubleshooting the fuel supply issue? All are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel Reset cropped.jpg (149.9 KB, 13 views)
whobub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 17:34   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Fuel Pump Inertia Switch -- Tripped?

That button pushes down amd connects the 2 wires together.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:09   #3 (permalink)

that is the Fuel Pump Inertia Switch...you should be able to reset it...if not replace it
Old 02-23-2012, 10:56   #4 (permalink)

But does my picture look like it's tripped??? I see "red" portion of button -- but doesn't look like it's fully up or down. The attempt to push it back DOWN (to reset?) didn't allow for any difference--like it IS reset.

Is there a way to "trip" it to test if the button goes fully "red"?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:48   #5 (permalink)

Anyone???? I need to know if there is a way to "test trip" the inertia switch to see if it's functional.

That is, if there isn't a way to test it, how does one know if you need a new one? You know, similar to a house's GFCI "test" trip....

These inertia switches go for upwards of $50, so just doing the backyard mechanic approach to "Let's replace this" only to find "Oh, that's not it" just doesn't fit my pocketbook or style of throwing good money after bad/little troubleshooting :)

Mine 'feels' like it's pressed all the way down, but 'looks' like a little red is showing, hence the question to begin with. With both the front and rear tanks' fuel pumps inoperable, it's the only logic I see to make sure this switch works.

For the benefit of all readers, I yield to the more experienced. . . "I'm not worthy"
Old 02-27-2012, 11:33   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If it's not tripped, it connects the 2 wires together.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:43   #7 (permalink)

"If it's not tripped, it connects the 2 wires together"

But HOW do I trip it???? I want to simulate it being tripped so I can see if it will reset properly.

Or is this a 'use-one-time-and-replace' type of switch and this test trip wouldn't be recommended?

Sorry for the back and forth on this, but I just want to simulate a test/trip for purposes of troubleshooting the switch's ability to reset.

A follow-up question then if the above can't be answered. . .

These two wires at the base of the inertia switch -- they should have 12V running across them if NOT tripped? And this allows power to the fuel pumps???? Tripped would then cut off (no 12V power at those 2 wires) power to pumps?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:04   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

Fast forward to 3.53 mins in video and you will see the same switch in the same position which seems to be in the correct position .You could always bridge the switch out if in doubt .

R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:49   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Are you just wanting to know if it'll trip in an accident or if it's tripped now? If you want to trip it, tap it with a rubber mallot lightlly. I thought you wanted to see if it was tripped or not. IT SHOULD HAVE 12V ON BOTH SIDES WHEN THE POWER FROM THE RELAY IS SENDING POWER TO THE PUMP.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:49   #10 (permalink)

Edit--> THIS reply crossed in the mail to Bert's reply #9). Thanks Bert--I'll try tapping it and see if it trips and report back.

Lazy K--> Thanks for that comparison video and the stop mark! You're correct--it does look like my picture is stimilar to a non-tripped one.

By "bridge the switch out" do you mean short the two wires on its connection? I take it this is more of a 'breaker' than it is a switch, so there will be no (minimal) damage to shorting the wires out once????

I'm sure these must be designed to take "X" number of failures and not just a single use.

Last edited by whobub; 02-27-2012 at 13:00. Reason: Clarify 'crossed in the mail' post by Bert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel