Fuel pump problem, do I have two? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2005, 12:45   #1 (permalink)

Fuel pump problem, do I have two?

I have a 1995 F-150 with dual fuel tanks. This morning my truck started sputtering while driving so I switched to my rear tank and it cleared up, now it will not even run on the front tank.

My assumption is that each tank has it's own fuel pump? Is that correct?
skid2964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2005, 14:57   #2 (permalink)
'88 F-150

Re: Fuel pump problem, do I have two?

ive got an '88 and i have two so i think that you also would.
Torcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 07:21   #3 (permalink)

I have a 89f150. I also have 2 tanks and took one off. I know that each tank has one inside of them, as well i had another pump under the drivers seat along the frame. Good luck as dropping the tank is a real pain in the ass!!!
Tesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 19:27   #4 (permalink)
no longer yo *********!!

here's the deal

'85-89s with EFI all have THREE fuel pumps. two are in the tanks (low pressure pumps) and one high-pressure pump externally mounted on the frame rail

'90+ all have only two high-prressure pumps inside the tanks.

are you sure you just didnt run out of gas in one tank? happed to me once (also own a '95 F-150)
Old 08-16-2005, 20:10   #5 (permalink)
'88 F-150

LTD masta does have a point about the running out of gas thing. my gauges only give me a general indication of how much i have in the tanks. the rear tank is either completely full or completely empty..by what the gauge says. and the front tank begins to go back and forth from empty to full when i get below 3/8ths of a tank...so i would thing the cheapest fix is to try putting gas in it.
Torcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:20   #6 (permalink)

The Front tank is full of fuel. I believe fuel is being pumped into the front tank as I run the rear tank. Now, sometimes the truck will run from the front tank but with a loss of power, like there isnt enough fuel pressure. I can run from the rear tank but it sputters sometimes.

I am trying to establish how these tanks switch over. I dont think I have a "switching unit", it is done at the pumps somehow. I have ordered a service manual to figure this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987LTDmasta
here's the deal

'85-89s with EFI all have THREE fuel pumps. two are in the tanks (low pressure pumps) and one high-pressure pump externally mounted on the frame rail

'90+ all have only two high-prressure pumps inside the tanks.

are you sure you just didnt run out of gas in one tank? happed to me once (also own a '95 F-150)
skid2964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 20:17   #7 (permalink)
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid2964
The Front tank is full of fuel. I believe fuel is being pumped into the front tank as I run the rear tank. Now, sometimes the truck will run from the front tank but with a loss of power, like there isnt enough fuel pressure. I can run from the rear tank but it sputters sometimes.

I am trying to establish how these tanks switch over. I dont think I have a "switching unit", it is done at the pumps somehow. I have ordered a service manual to figure this out.
I had this problem as well the tank thats full the low pressure pump needs replacing thats the one in the tank
Old 07-26-2006, 14:40   #8 (permalink)

Your Assumption Is Correct "skid2964". From 1992 To 1996 ,in Accordance With Wiring Diagrams, The "f Series" Models Came With Dual Fuel Tank And A Fuel Pump In Each Tank. They Use The Same Relay To Operate Both Pumps, But There Is A Select Switch That Makes Possible The Pumps Operation One At A Time. I Have A 1994 F-150 "flare Side" Efi Model, And The Front Pump Went Bad, For Some Time I Drove My F-150 With The Rear Fuel Pump Only, Then I Replaced It And Both Are Working Now. One Of The Good Things Of This Feature On The F Series Trucks, Is That You Will Never Be Left On The Road Because Of Fuel Pump Failure.
Keep It Ford...
EL LLANERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 22:29   #9 (permalink)

We, my husband and I have a 95 F150, the same one I wrote and asked if anyone knew about the door handle breaking and how to fix it, and the same thing happened to us. The truck will not run off of the front tank, when you switch to the front it sounds like it is not gettting gas at all. After several times of doing this the truck would no longer run on the front tank, we have not figued out what the problem is, so if you do, please let me know. P.S Do you have the problem with either one of your interior door handles breaking like mine do? If so let me know what you did to correct it. Thanks
plutes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 22:37   #10 (permalink)

hey skid- you do have 2 pumps, but heres the REAL problem: you say you think that your front tank is filling from the rear? your prob. right.. I have a 94 f-150 and know this from exp. there are checkvalves in each pump, and the 2 pumps are plumbed parallel (with just 2 "Y's" connecting both pumps to the same line; when one is pump is working, the line is pressurised and the only thing keeping the other tank from filling is its checkvalve.. when it goes, you need to replace the pump.(it seems like its always the front) NOW.. the CAUSE.. I'll bet $50 that your fuel pressure regulator is worn out, and sending too much pressure to the return circuit, overwhelming the checkvalve i.e. filling the tank. (p.s. dont take the bet, im sure of this) if you change the front pump, do the regulator FIRST.. or there will be a third pump in your future. good luck man
presto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel