Fuel pumps shutting off, losing fuel pressure on highway - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 07:42   #1 (permalink)
TKO

Fuel pumps shutting off, losing fuel pressure on highway

Well, I just started a new thread. This is what i have replaced so far.

Fuel pressure regulator
cleaned IAC valve
Replaced tank selector switch
battery
Cap
Rotor
plugs, wires
Ignition switch
starter
alternator
Cleaned intake manifold, replaced gaskets
Relays replaced

These are my problems.

My truck has two fuel pumps, the symptoms happen on both tanks. My truck will run fine all day, run for hours. it seems like it only happens when my truck is warm. I will be driving on the highway and ill feel my truck jerk, the CEL will emit, but i still have power steering and braking, i floor it, and the light goes off, and jumps back into gear, this happened twice on the highway yesterday.

The truck will be running at a stoplight, and be fine, no bogging, and out of nowhere just shut off. The truck will not start up again. I have learned to not try and crank the engine at all, and let it sit with the key in the "on position" and if its quiet enough, after about 10 or 15 minutes the fuel pumps turn on, and it starts fine.

And here is my other problem, i can drive it all day, or up the street for 10 minutes, and when i shut off my truck and come back out to start it the engine cranks but no fire, and i let it sit again with the key "on" and the relays click over and it can start.

Yesterday the highway problems happened after my truck shut off at a stop 20 minutes prior. I washed my truck through an automatic wash and the engine light came on, and has been on for a day, sounded like water in the exhaust, but when my truck shut off the CEL was on, and after waiting for the 15 minutes for the relays to come on, the truck started and the engine light was off and has not come back on, I don't know if its a coincidence, or my computer resets after the truck fails, as stated before, this isnt my first thread on the same problem, but here is the list of what i have replaced and tried, Thanks Ford Forums, you guys are awsome.
TKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 16:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fuel pumps shutting off, losing fuel pressure on highway

What year and model is the truck?
Try to get the computer scanned. It woud be best to do it with the CEL on. But you can run a scan anyways and see if it stored any codes.
Any gauges, or elecetrical accessories acting strange?
takenoprisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 17:57   #3 (permalink)
TKO

Nothing is strange. It's a 1996 f-150 2wd

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-25-2013, 05:00   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Without going back and checking all posts , fuel filter been changed ?
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:18   #5 (permalink)
TKO

No engine codes either. What would cause my engine light to come on and me to lose pressure until I hit the gas pedal all the way down? Or maybe it's not a fuel thing, maybe an air thing?

Old 01-25-2013, 05:19   #6 (permalink)
TKO

And that's what I forgot to list, yes the filter was replaced. I tried to put all my posts into this one thread so all of us don't have to look back lol

Old 01-26-2013, 09:30   #7 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Your throttle body doesn't fit all your symptoms, but have you gone through it?
Ford Mustang IAC IAB - Solving your idle problems
Old 01-26-2013, 13:04   #8 (permalink)
TKO

I Cleaned my throttle body. Intake manifold and my IAC already. Next thing I'm going to try is my fuel inertia switch, or my ignition coil. The TFI I think it's called. Both are not too expensive,

Old 01-26-2013, 14:33   #9 (permalink)

Your barking up the wrong tree. Unless you fired the wash wand up your exhaust pipe
there is no water in the exhaust. At least you described the problem properly. good for you. Most Some people just yell HELP. Don't have time for that. The check engine light will normally come on after an engine stall or at first start up. Normal. Quit spending money on stuff that will not help you. You are describing a sparatic complete power failure. Battery and alternator. Main power supply. As it cools it reconnects and away it goes. " only happens when the truck gets warm " . That is when things get hot. as in
wiring and connectors. Your computer turns on your fuel pumps and keeps them running. You might want to check that curcuit first. Don't put in a new engine just because someone forgot to put gas in the tank.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 15:38   #10 (permalink)
TKO

I run at least half a tank. And the problem is never expected. Now it happens hot or cold. The car wash was an automatic car wash ad only happens when I go into an automatic at wash. I think the pitch of the exhaust is wrong because I hear the water inside the pipe. When te truck runs I move every harness to every major device ad nothing happens. I cannot re-create the problem. I am wondering if my stat is sticking, or my temp sensor is wrong. The sensor in the block only activates the guage.
So my questions are as follows:
Is there an electronic temp sensor besides the one that screws into the block by the distributor?

Is it possible the thermostat gets stuck open or closed? In my other post I stated I pulled my radiator plug, and nothing came out. My coolant is orange. And I'm wondering if I should flush the system out and replace the stat.

Lastly, there was a bypass for the throttle body put on te truck for a temp guage (aftermarket) this was on when the truck was purchased. Is there a sensor that has to be satisfied in the throttle body for coolant? Thanks for all the help. I'm getting closer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel