Ford Forums banner

Fuel pumps shutting off, losing fuel pressure on highway

5K views 34 replies 6 participants last post by  CatSkinner 
#1 ·
Well, I just started a new thread. This is what i have replaced so far.

Fuel pressure regulator
cleaned IAC valve
Replaced tank selector switch
battery
Cap
Rotor
plugs, wires
Ignition switch
starter
alternator
Cleaned intake manifold, replaced gaskets
Relays replaced

These are my problems.

My truck has two fuel pumps, the symptoms happen on both tanks. My truck will run fine all day, run for hours. it seems like it only happens when my truck is warm. I will be driving on the highway and ill feel my truck jerk, the CEL will emit, but i still have power steering and braking, i floor it, and the light goes off, and jumps back into gear, this happened twice on the highway yesterday.

The truck will be running at a stoplight, and be fine, no bogging, and out of nowhere just shut off. The truck will not start up again. I have learned to not try and crank the engine at all, and let it sit with the key in the "on position" and if its quiet enough, after about 10 or 15 minutes the fuel pumps turn on, and it starts fine.

And here is my other problem, i can drive it all day, or up the street for 10 minutes, and when i shut off my truck and come back out to start it the engine cranks but no fire, and i let it sit again with the key "on" and the relays click over and it can start.

Yesterday the highway problems happened after my truck shut off at a stop 20 minutes prior. I washed my truck through an automatic wash and the engine light came on, and has been on for a day, sounded like water in the exhaust, but when my truck shut off the CEL was on, and after waiting for the 15 minutes for the relays to come on, the truck started and the engine light was off and has not come back on, I don't know if its a coincidence, or my computer resets after the truck fails, as stated before, this isnt my first thread on the same problem, but here is the list of what i have replaced and tried, Thanks Ford Forums, you guys are awsome.

See less See more
#27 ·
And yes, dead as in the usual shutting off engine and not being able to start again. Just turned off the key and went inside and waited half an hour. Checked my coolant, filled it. And started it and ran it another 45 minutes and then finished the flush, there were massive chunks coming out of my radiator, I had to pull off the lower hose considering my drain plug isn't working

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#32 ·
Well, te shaft of my distributor split while trying to remove my gear on the bottom, even with wd-40 and the pins removed. So I bought a new distributor. Sprayed it up with lithium grease. And shoved it back in. My truck is running fine but it feels weak. I think the distributor needs to be turned a little bit while leaving the shaft where it's at. Also, there was a little plastic piece on the bottom of the shaft. I forgot to put it back on the new one, the new one didn't come with one. So that's where I am right about now

#33 ·
Fixed the position of the distributor and now the truck is running fine. I am almost 100% positive that was the problem. So the pick up coil was causing all of the problems. A few other people on other forums wre having the same kind of issues and that was their solution. Now that my truck is able to run and start when it should, I have to work on other things now. Thanks fordforums

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.