fuse to brake Lights keep blowing - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2010, 13:32   #1 (permalink)
BootGuy

Garage
fuse to brake Lights keep blowing

Almost every day my Fuse for my Brake and Hazard lights blows.
i Drive a 93' F-250 its Fuse number 13 on the panel inside my truck.
the panel and the Hanes manual both say it requires a size 15 Fuse. last time I put a Size 20 in there and it blew within hours.
i hope theres not a short in the line somewhere, if anyone has this problem or has fixed something like it please help me, i spend so much money just on new fuses
D-Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010, 14:38   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: fuse to brake Lights keep blowing

You'll have to follow the wires to see what the short is. It must be in the stoplight circuit because if you're not using the hazards, the only wire could be a problem is the red/white wire from the fuse box to the flasher in the hazard circuit. The stoplight sends power from the brake light switch in the light green wire to the ABS module, transmission ECA, EEC, besides the third stop light and stop lights in the tail lights. All you can do is follow the wires and see if there's a place where it could be rubbed through. The Green/red wire from the fuse panel to the stop light switch too. It would cause it if the wire gets bumped around and goes to ground without hitting the brakes.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:08   #3 (permalink)
BootGuy

Garage

Thanks, i tried to follow back the wire but it was difficult in some places and i couldn't find the split or pinch or any exposed wire. I came up with a strange idea. could i just splice a new wire right behind the fuse and run it to my brake lights? if this would work what kind of wire should i use and is there anything i should be aware of?
Old 12-06-2010, 11:18   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That wire from the fuse only goes a little ways to the brake light switch. From that switch is probably where the problem lies. When the brakes are applied, it sends power to the RABS module, speed control, EEC module and turn signal switch.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:04   #5 (permalink)
BootGuy

Garage

ok. once i find this and check the wires here it should fix the problem? this kinda reminds me of another thing with my truck, when the brake lights do work they dont turn on as soon as i press the petal and go out as soon as i stop pushing down. its more like a flash then a brake light. is there a way to adjust the sensitivity so they dont just flash. Damn Old Fords
Old 12-07-2010, 10:52   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That's probably the switch itself getting less sensitive. You'd need to replace it.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:01   #7 (permalink)
BootGuy

Garage

Thanks, ill replace that and hopefully find the fuse problem in the process
Old 12-10-2010, 13:51   #8 (permalink)
BootGuy

Garage

Knock on wood, but i think i fixed it. at the brake petal it there is the wire connector that had a small split in it. i dont know how i missed it last time but it replace that and went for a drive and did some errands the fuse should have blown about 3 times but it didnt. i did not replace anything i just fixed the split so the brake lights are still really sensitive
Old 12-13-2010, 11:13   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Well let's hope it's all set. That makes it tough when you can't be sure. Have you installed the proper fuse?
Old 12-18-2010, 16:30   #10 (permalink)
BootGuy

Garage

yeah i have a 15 in there right now and it still hasnt blown since i fixed it several days ago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel