Got the codes now I need direction - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2005, 13:37   #1 (permalink)

Got the codes now I need direction

1996 f150 4X4 302 5peed. I bought an OBDII which after some wire tracing and great help from this forum started to work. Here are the codes how do I fix the problems?

PO118 (Engine coolant tempature circuit high output)
P1351 (Misfire cylinder 5 with fuel cut-off)

The problem with the truck is that it starts up great and runs smooth. When I shut it off I cannot start it again until an hour or so later. It keeps cranking but does not turn over.

Whwew do I start? Dennis
dpbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2005, 12:45   #2 (permalink)

Re: Got the codes now I need direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbrowne
1996 f150 4X4 302 5peed. I bought an OBDII which after some wire tracing and great help from this forum started to work. Here are the codes how do I fix the problems?

PO118 (Engine coolant tempature circuit high output)
P1351 (Misfire cylinder 5 with fuel cut-off)

The problem with the truck is that it starts up great and runs smooth. When I shut it off I cannot start it again until an hour or so later. It keeps cranking but does not turn over.

Where do I start? Dennis

Well I changed the temp sensor and strangly enough it starts all of the time. I am even more confused now because I did not think that the water temp sennsor could shut down the ability of the truck to start when hot. I still have to deal with P1351 (Misfire cylinder 5 with fuel cut-off). I bought some high powered injector cleaner and put the whole can in the front tank (1/4 full) Hopefully that will clean up the injector.

Another stupid question on the 302 which position is the #5 cylinder/injector if I am standing in front of the truck with the hood open. My real question is how do I know where #1 is and then the sequence in numerical order?
Thank you - Dennis
Old 09-19-2005, 13:41   #3 (permalink)

4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5

Another idea is to get a can of Seafoam or other injector cleaner, then pull the vacuum hose off your brake booster and hold the hose to the open can of Seafoam. It'll literally suck the can dry, but you need to be careful to not let it suck up too much or it'll die out. That'll get the cleaner up into your valves and clean up the junk that's on them. Once the can is empty, let it idle until it stops smoking (and it WILL smoke a LOT) and give it a quick drive... but maybe don't do that until you've burned what you have in your tank.

Also, check the injector itself to be sure it's not leaking through an O-ring or something.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 14:05   #4 (permalink)

Thank you - Dennis
Old 09-20-2005, 13:03   #5 (permalink)

Before finding out that the water temp sensor was my problem I was leaning toward the ignition system. I changed the wires, plugs, cap, rotor and ignition control module. I took the truck on a long run today It idles so smoothly and quietly that I had to check to see if it was still running (engine has 272,000 highway miles). I cleared the code before I left and dumped in some injector cleaner in the front tank (1/4 full). The instructions said that it would cover two tanks so the strength was there. All seems well so far. No check engine light on. I will see tomorrow. Thank you for all of your help
Old 09-20-2005, 13:15   #6 (permalink)

Any time. I'd still say you should do the Seafoam as I mentioned. I'm willing to bet that at 272,000 miles you've got lots of build-up on your valves. This will clean the valves, improving mileage and performance.

I had never heard of it until a friend recommended it to me, at which point I did it on my Cherokee and I still find it hard to believe how much difference it made.
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel