Ford Forums banner

Help, F100 Exhaust

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  CatSkinner 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have recently picked up a 1976 Ford F100 short-bed. It has a 5.0L 302 engine. I am new to most repairs truck wise and dealing with their engines as I am used to working on much smaller engines. One thing that needs to be done is replace the exhaust system. The manifolds are in good shape but from there on everything must be replaced. I found pipes and mufflers that are rated for a 76 F100 but for a 360 engine. Will it matter that it is supposed to be on a bigger engine or can I use them?

Thanks

#3 ·
I just spoke to LMC where the exhaust system would be purchased from. The said it wouldn't fit the 302 engine and of course the person on the phone had no technical idea why it would not fit :frown2: how much modification would I expect. I have the original manifolds on the truck and do not intend to replace them.

#4 ·
I know that you would probably prefer to do the work yourself, but why not just take it to a muffler shop. It may cost a little more than buying the pipes and muffler yourself, but you save yourself the headaches in dealing with rusty bolts that almost always break, particularly the studs going into the manifolds. I would let someone else deal with it. Don't forget that you also need the proper hangers as well.

#5 ·
From the transmission back, the only changes are: option of dual exhaust, 4WD, bed length, and where the pipes(s) terminate. The stock hangers are going to land where they need. However, if you're going to have a garage make up the final fit at the manifold, you might as well hand the whole project to them to make sure everything is right. Piecing together an entire exhaust on an install without the proper stands and what not... particularly without a lift, can be more of a pain than you think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.