Help Needed - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 10:18   #1 (permalink)

Help Needed

Hi, I have a 2007 Ford F150. I recently put in a really nice stereo, but there is terrible engine interference. I wanted to know if the spark plugs have resistance. I didn't want to take them out as it is such a mission. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2010, 11:50   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Help Needed

If it's a new radio, check with the radio manufacturer to see what they recommend. The original didn't do it so I wouldn't be concerned with the truck itself.
Old 06-22-2010, 19:10   #3 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special View Post
Hi, I have a 2007 Ford F150. I recently put in a really nice stereo, but there is terrible engine interference. I wanted to know if the spark plugs have resistance. I didn't want to take them out as it is such a mission. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike
Welcome to Ford Forums Special! :)

Are you referring to engine noise that comes through the speakers and changes with rpm? If so, you have a ground loop in your system somewhere. I can elaborate more on this, if this is your symptom. Spark plugs wouldn't cause this.

Can you explain to me briefly your stereo setup?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:54   #4 (permalink)

Hi, thanks for your help. I have the following:

Pioneer Deck
Boston SPZ Speakers in front....regular Boston speakers in back
Two Boston Amps
1 10" Boston Subwoofer

It never did it with the normal deck but it is really annoying considering I spent a good amount on this and I hardly use it. We checked the grounds and they seem secure but I wonder if the grounds should be moved. Right now the grounds are on the metal underneath the middle arm rest in the front.
Old 06-24-2010, 15:55   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special View Post
Hi, thanks for your help. I have the following:

Pioneer Deck
Boston SPZ Speakers in front....regular Boston speakers in back
Two Boston Amps
1 10" Boston Subwoofer

It never did it with the normal deck but it is really annoying considering I spent a good amount on this and I hardly use it. We checked the grounds and they seem secure but I wonder if the grounds should be moved. Right now the grounds are on the metal underneath the middle arm rest in the front.
I would check a few things just for craps and laughs:

1) Use shielded RCA cables. Cheapies can be "noisy"
2)Make sure you haven't gone ape crap on your ground cable to the chassis. It doesn't need to be 5 feet long. In my previous setups, my ground cable was no more than 18". So your amp(s) should be 18" from where they are grounded at the most.
3)Use distribution blocks for multiple amp setups. Don't crowd all your wires in one area.
4) Adjust your levels so that the source unit is at a higher level while the gains on your amps are down.
5)Always run your power wires down the opposite side of the car as the RCAs.
Old 06-24-2010, 19:54   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Glad you know about radios and stereos, KStromberg. I don't even listen to my regular radio and since you can only listen to AM radio in the morning, I'd be worried that I'd forget to shut it off in the afternoon.
Old 06-24-2010, 20:53   #7 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
Glad you know about radios and stereos, KStromberg. I don't even listen to my regular radio and since you can only listen to AM radio in the morning, I'd be worried that I'd forget to shut it off in the afternoon.
Well, I haven't been into the loop with stereos for several years now, but I did have a small setup back in the day. Between components and subs, I was running about 2400 watts. I chased down a "whine" through my speakers for almost a month and it wasn't until I "cleaned up" my setup and ran things properly that it went away. I thought I could just throw everything into the car and I would be fine. Not the case. I was running 0 gauge power and ground wires and the 3 foot-long PPI Art Series I had running the subs was drawing about 100 amps alone, so when I got this whine, it was LOUD! I had the alternator rebuilt with better internals because I fried that sucker in about a week.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:46   #8 (permalink)

Thanks a lot for your help. I will have the guy who installed it go through these checks and see if he can sort it out. I will let you know if he does, and hopefully we can figure out what was causing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel