hood flutter at highway speed - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 12:26   #1 (permalink)

hood flutter at highway speed

I have read about the hood flutter TSB for 2004 F150's, but mine is an 05 and it has it as well. Anyone know what the recourse might be for this? Is there a TSB I can reference to my dealer so it can be fixed? Anyone know what is done to fix this?

When it is windy and I am going down the highway you can see the hood fluttering a lot near the windshield.
T Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 16:29   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: hood flutter at highway speed

The dealer should have all the TSBs. Only when it comes to a recall do the notify owners. If you're a second owner you won't get any recall notices. I suggest giving your VIN to the dealer and have them make sure your truck is up to date.

If your truck was manufactured in 2004 and sold as a 2005 model you should be covered under the TSB. You can email Ford directly and it'll take them a couple weeks to respond back with your build date and how the vehicle was equipped when it left the factory.

As for temporarily fixing the fluttering, I'd open the hood and try to shake it to see if there is any play in the hinges/springs. Perhaps all that's needed it a good tightening. If there are rolled springs present, they may have to be tightened and you'll need a special tool, or to replace the spring with a new one.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 18:10   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
The dealer should have all the TSBs. Only when it comes to a recall do the notify owners. If you're a second owner you won't get any recall notices. I suggest giving your VIN to the dealer and have them make sure your truck is up to date.
I'm the second owner of a 01 GMC Sierra and an 01 Taurus and I've received recall notices on both vehicles.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 23:16   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Man View Post
I have read about the hood flutter TSB for 2004 F150's, but mine is an 05 and it has it as well. Anyone know what the recourse might be for this? Is there a TSB I can reference to my dealer so it can be fixed? Anyone know what is done to fix this?

When it is windy and I am going down the highway you can see the hood fluttering a lot near the windshield.
I have the same problem. I thought it was my bugshield at first. I read the following quote from someone, "check to make sure all four corners of the hood is flush with the fenders and if it isn't adjust the hood stop. Also take a piece of paper and put it in between the hood and the cowl and with the hood closed pull the paper out, if there isn't much resistance take a 58" piece of 3/16" fuel hose and insert it into the hood seal that is on the front of the cowl, this will make the hood fit tighter and keep the air from getting under it." There is an TSB that says to insert the fuel hose, i am just trying to locate it for you. Let me know if this helps.
CaptFX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 23:19   #5 (permalink)

I think this is it.

TSB 04-18-8 HOOD FLUTTER AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS

ISSUE:

Some 2004 F-150 may exibit hood movement at the back of the hood due to high air turbulence, while driving at highway speeds. This condition may be amplified by the installation of an accessory bugshield and may be more pronounced when passing an on-coming vehicle on a two lane road.

ACTION:

Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE:

Confirm that the hood is flush with the front fenders at each front corner. If the hood is under-flush, adjust the hood stops to raise the hood flush with the tops of the front fenders. Check the amount of drag at the rear hood to cowl seal with a piece of paper. Place a piece of paper between the seal and hood, close the hood and then slowly pull the paper out. It there is sufficient drag, indicating good seal to hood contact, return the vehicle to the customer.
If there is little to no drag, obtain locally a piece of fuel hose 147cm long & 11mm diameter (58" long & 3/16" diameter). Lube the hose with a soap-based solution and install the hose inside the hood seal bulb.

I still need to do this, just too lazy now.
CaptFX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel