How loud is your stock 350? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 07:04   #1 (permalink)

How loud is your stock 350?

I just bought a 2005 5.4 F350. That engine needs to kick down a lot to keep the truck moving with even slight hills. I don't mind, but the exhaust is loud - pretty much have to yell to be heard by the passenger. The dealership seems to think that is normal for that combo of engine and body. They did replace one of the headers before I picked it up, but said nothing was wrong with muffler or exhaust pipe. Is that normal? Anyone out there with the same experience with this kind of vehicle?
artt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2014, 17:56   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: How loud is your stock 350?

I'd have to hear it to say if it's normal or not, but having driven either an E250 or E350 for the last fifteen years, I will say that they drop out of overdrive fairly easily on hills, if that's what you're hearing. A lot of things can come into play, hear, first, is it 4 wheel drive? The added weight may cause it to downshift a little sooner. The rear differential, if it's geared low, can make a lot of noise as well. My personal truck can whine pretty good with 4.11's in the back.
Old 02-01-2014, 19:10   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
I'd have to hear it to say if it's normal or not, but having driven either an E250 or E350 for the last fifteen years, I will say that they drop out of overdrive fairly easily on hills, if that's what you're hearing. A lot of things can come into play, hear, first, is it 4 wheel drive? The added weight may cause it to downshift a little sooner. The rear differential, if it's geared low, can make a lot of noise as well. My personal truck can whine pretty good with 4.11's in the back.
Well this noise jumps dramatically in volume when there is a downshift, and it is not a whine. It sounds the way I would expect an aftermarket 'performance' muffler to sound, a low, loud rumble that resonates in the cab. My wife was hoping that we could use the truck to take a 5th wheel south, to escape this weather, but she won't do that unless I can cure the noise level. I have to admit that I wouldn't be excited to listen to it 10 hours at a stretch either. Because the dealer thinks it's normal (or so he says) I wouldn't just jump and put a new muffler on. Anyone out there with an SPL meter? I have one and am going to check it out. It would be nice to compare.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:05   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

If the dealership are confident it's normal , get them to let you have a drive in a comparable vehicle to verify whether it is or not .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:03   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.LOGAN View Post
If the dealership are confident it's normal , get them to let you have a drive in a comparable vehicle to verify whether it is or not .
That's one of my problems - small town, small dealerships. No comparable vehicles around. Lots of new 150's, but not much else.
Old 02-03-2014, 13:46   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Pity you cant compare another vehicle .You sure there is stil no blow from the headers ? Could try getting someone to blank off tail pipe temporarily with a rag and listen for any blows at engine or system .Could also check engine mountings as movement on downshift may be allowing engine to flex and exaggerating any possible exhaust leaks if it's that kind of noise .
Old 02-05-2014, 15:26   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.LOGAN View Post
Pity you cant compare another vehicle .You sure there is stil no blow from the headers ? Could try getting someone to blank off tail pipe temporarily with a rag and listen for any blows at engine or system .Could also check engine mountings as movement on downshift may be allowing engine to flex and exaggerating any possible exhaust leaks if it's that kind of noise .
I took it back to the dealer, after seeing some exhaust coming out from under a shield on the muffler. They sent me to a muffler shop that put it on a hoist and found a chunk of plate steel that had been jammed under the shield to cover a hole. They replaced the muffler (something smaller and cheaper) and now it sounds perfectly normal, like all of the other trucks around me. Might not be the perfect replacement, but it works and I'm happy. You really have to keep after these guys when you buy used!!
Old 02-06-2014, 03:41   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

Good you got it fixed , thanks for update .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel