How Much 5th Wheel can I tow? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 15:45   #1 (permalink)

How Much 5th Wheel can I tow?

I'm hoping to retire within a year or so and my wife and I want to get a truck and 5th wheel to do it in. I can't afford a new truck, so I'm considering a couple of 2006 F350's. All are Super Duty, 6.0 diesel. the GVWR and the GAWR differ on the two. Both have 8ft beds. One is 4wd with 6000/7000/11400 for the frontGAWR/RearGAWR/GVWR the other is 2wd with 4700/6390/10500. I think I'm looking at no more than 34ft for the 5th wheel. I think either would work fine, but being a novice at F350 and 5th wheels. I need help in deciding. any Help?
Confused Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 08:42   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: How Much 5th Wheel can I tow?

Well, the 2WD will get you a little better mileage, but if the majority of it's life will have a trailer behind it, the mileage will go out the window. I'd look more towards the amenities and existing miles. Long trips? Winter trips? The capacity between the two are relatively small, but if you're going to be pushing the limit of the 2WD, the 4WD will give you a little more cushion in the stability department, but I don't think it would make much difference in the braking department.

Either truck should be able to handle a 34 footer unladen without a problem.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:06   #3 (permalink)

Thanks CatSkinner! The 2WD has only 66,000 miles on it, but needed a glow plug replaced, which is being done. It is a crew cab. I'm concerned if the glow plug failure is a problem or symptom. The 4WD has 150,000 with a supercab. I'm leaning toward the 4WD.
Confused Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 19:00   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Good luck with it!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel