Idle Air Control Valve - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2006, 12:29   #1 (permalink)

Idle Air Control Valve

Hi All,
New to the forum and am looking forward to some interesting reading. My name is Rick, I live in South Texas and have an F-150 5.4 Lariat. I have already done a archive search and was unable to locate anything similar to the problem I'm having right now. I suspect my problem to be the idle air
control valve since it dies after starting. However, after the engine runs for
a few miles, it seems to run and idle OK. How much trouble is it to change the IAC valve? Thanks in advance for all your answers.

Rick
rab33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2006, 23:18   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: Idle Air Control Valve

The IAC valve is a simple job to replace. Buy the part and you will see what to change. It is on top of the engine somewhere and may be under the plastic cover depending on the engine and year.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 14:49   #3 (permalink)

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I have located the IAC Valve on my truck (a 2000 model) but am having a bit of trouble in removing it. Any words of advice on how best to get that darn thing off. It has philips screw heads but for the life of me I can't find an access to them. I'm a bit stumped at this point.
Thanks,
Rick
rab33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 20:28   #4 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Ummmmm...........

The IAC has 2 7mm head bolts that holds it on. All you need is a 7mm 1/4" socket and ratchet.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:54   #5 (permalink)

I think he has located the TPS Sensor (Throttle Positioning Sensor)
It has 2 phillips head screws. Don't mess with it. I did and now my 94 Grand Marquis want stay at idle.
Tom1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 20:06   #6 (permalink)

hey, if its not the IAC, maybe Tom1222 just gave you an idea. is your chk eng lt coming on, or on? try the IAC, then id look toward the TPS. I had a cougar 3.8, and a small exhaust tube (i cant remem. what egr maybe?) broke and heated the hell out of it (TPS) and it was hard to keep running at idle, but not always. hope this helped
presto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 17:10   #7 (permalink)

Re: Idle Air Control Valve 98 grand marquis

I had the same problem, HARD STARTING and last week would not stay on at idle until it warmed up. I replaced both the throttle positon sensor and air idle control valve. I put the IAC valve lastly and then did I notice the engine being able to "one key turn" starting again. My cost at a private auto dealer was 40 for the TPS and 86 for the IAC. I have found that Advanced Auto and orielly's seems to carry more of the motorcraft parts. I rather stay with motorcraft if i can. Give me you opinion on Autozone -Duralast parts. I always thought that they didnot last too long -but yes they are lower in cost. I certainly dont want to be changing a starter to say every 6 months even if its under warrantly. I'd rather spend a little more and get good quality parts. I think this car has done me well, always change oil about 2.5 to 3000 miles, trans twice a year. Beside cracked intake plastic recall and one alternator all is good. Hope this help, but I agree with the other fellows, its probably the idle air control valve motor - I did notice on the old one that it was rather rusted and burnt up inside from usage over the years and probably getting stuck. good luck .art san antonio texas. Get a book, it give little hints on problems like this. This was a do it yourselfer project.
mercdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel