Ignition Switch Bypass for 1993 F150. Help! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2013, 14:37   #1 (permalink)

Ignition Switch Bypass for 1993 F150. Help!

So due to a failed ignition cylinder, and subsequently a failed drill out attempt, I've gone to trying to install a toggle switch/push button to bypass the ignition switch.
I have successfully started the car and run individual accessory outlets, but I'm no expert on electronics and am not sure how to or if i can wire them all to one switch. The OEM ignition switch has 4 12V lines running into it, so i'm lead to believe that there is not enough power for the 4 accessory (1 of which i cant identify), 1 proof and 1 ignition bypass (which i also cant figure out what that does) to run on just 1 12V input line. I"m guesssing that if I run more than 1 of these lines into a single 25AMP switch, it'll overamp and burn out.

Also, I am using a 16 Gage wire. Is that appropriate?

Thoughts? Thanks
Janjiggaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 17:18   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: Ignition Switch Bypass for 1993 F150. Help!

Much less work and headache, youtube a video on how to drill out the ignition lock and replace
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 18:11   #3 (permalink)

Yup did that and drilled too far. Drill but ate up the steering lock gear. On to plan B
Old 10-25-2013, 08:10   #4 (permalink)

B awhere there are a number of leads that need to be switched.
Among them are a start lead to the TFI that transfers to a Run lead when crank position goes back to Run.
Charge indicator lead, various power feeds to assorted accessories etc.
It's not a simple power the coil deal.
The starter circuit is also involved to crank the motor.
Take a look at the actual switch assembly and the leads involved to get an idea of all this.
Good luck.
Bluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:05   #5 (permalink)

here is what i'm working with.
F150 IG Switch.jpg

I currently have have a push button with one battery lead and the lead to the starter (STA).

I have a toggle switch with one battery lead and l1. With the switch to on, the truck starts and runs.

My question is this, with that one 25A switch, can i tie all the accessory leads and l1 lead, while only supplying of a single 12V battery lead? Will that overdraw? Should I install a secondary switch for accessories? Can i Attach more than 1 battery lead to the single switch?

Thanks.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:05   #6 (permalink)

I also prob need to ground the whole shabang as well eh?
Old 10-26-2013, 09:59   #7 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

The ignition switch is just that, a multi-contact switch. You might want your run switch to close a relay to power one your auxiliaries and keep the circuits separate. It'd suck to have a faulty radio shut down your truck.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel