Inline 6 -- Increase Performance/Mileage Suggesstions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 13:06   #1 (permalink)

Inline 6 -- Increase Performance/Mileage Suggesstions

I have a 1992 inline-6 F-150
I am looking for ways to increase performance and gas mileage by replacing certain factory stock components with parts that will help things out.

I am not looking to replace internal engine parts or anything of that nature. But I am looking for any ignition parts, fuel options, anything that is easy to do and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get improvements.

I am assuming that there may be non-factory parts that could accomplish this.

Looking for suggestions.
meppwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2011, 11:25   #2 (permalink)

Re: Inline 6 -- Increase Performance/Mileage Suggesstions

On computer controlled engines there are no improvements you are looking for.
The reason is the engine is controlled by computer.
Trying to force a change from the 'outside' is trying to force a change in the computer program.
It dosesn't work that way.
For example if you were to raise fuel pressure at the injectors to add more fuel, the program will just reduce it backwards again because the change is detected by the OX sensors. How it controls injectors is by pulsewidth variations of open close time to affect control of how much fuel is allowed to pass each time.
You cannot alter anything to far or it is seen as a fault, by the computer.
The program has tables that are referenced to know what to do. You can't alter that fact.
As a matter of reletive reference, you cannot feel a power change by seat of the pants of less than about 10 hp.
Air inlet alterations, filters and even exhaust won't be of any advantage getting more power unless you are running the engine at high rpm where it may make some small difference.
Good luck.
Bluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel