I've got a question for anyone who can help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 20:00   #1 (permalink)

I've got a question for anyone who can help

I haven't been here in awhile since I sold my Explorer, but I remembered that if I need to know something this was the place to come. We just had a friend of ours give us a 1987 F150. That's all fine and good but my problem is they changed the rear end in the truck and they don't know what gears were factory in the truck. I've found out that if the gears don't match then I'll tear my transfer case if I put it in 4WD. I've tried a number different sites to find out what was in it. Nothing has been helping so far. I have the axle code off of the door, but everywhere I've checked only goes back to 1991. Can anyone help me? The axle code off the door is 18 if that helps at all. Thanks in advance for your help.
Bossnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2007, 21:18   #2 (permalink)

Re: I've got a question for anyone who can help

Go to a Ford dealer parts department. Bring a box of doughnuts and coffee. I bet they can help.
Old 08-04-2007, 21:55   #3 (permalink)

you can pull the covers and count the teeth on the crown and pinion on the front dif and reer dif.This way you will know for shure.Ive seen the tags mixed
up too many times.
puddle jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:18   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddle jumper
you can pull the covers and count the teeth on the crown and pinion on the front dif and reer dif.This way you will know for shure.Ive seen the tags mixed
up too many times.
Even though this will work, he was asking what was in the truck originally, not what is in it now.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel