Lariat or XLT - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 12:24   #1 (permalink)

Lariat or XLT

I'm getting an F150 this week and want advice on the decision. I want navigation and I understand that the Lariat is the first model with Navigation, and the XLT does not offer the nav unit. Does anyone have any experience with installing the factory navigation units in an XLT? Or, is it possible to change out the factory unit with an aftermarket single or double DIN navigation unit? Any thoughts? Suggestions? etc?

Cost will be $600/mo for Lariat with 3k down
$525 for XLT with 0 down.
RedOctober is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 21:15   #2 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

Re: Lariat or XLT

It would depend on what year model you're talking about.
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 14:04   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Leaser? Sounds like he's going to buy new...

I'd stick with the XLT and get an aftermarket GPS unit. $75+ a month more for the duration of a lease just for a built in GPS that you have to take into the dealer if you want to get it updated for a couple hundred bucks on top of the lease payment... no thanks. I'll get the lesser user friendly XLT and keep my Garmin, or even buy a new one if I wanted to go all fancy.

If you really wanted in dash nav, there are a few things to consider such as use-while-driving. Aftermarket systems can be easily overridden so you can use it on the go, and they're generally less money up front for one of those slide in the dash units. Most also double as a DVD/TV screen that you can use for whatever interests you or other ppl in the vehicle. A good slide out one will be in the $1K range. Or, if you just want GPS, you can get a $150-250 Garmin or TomTom with a few good features, even BlueTooth these days. OEM stereo is decent from what I was told, but you could always upgrade to an in dash system down the road. The downside to aftermarket is theft as well. Built-ins are harder to take, and the portable GPS is secure, and you can use it in other vehicles as well, which is why I think it makes sense if you have more than one vehicle.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:08   #4 (permalink)

Ahh I have a in dash (Lariat) and after market in dash, (in my SSR) and a portable after market.

The Ford one is very nice. I especially like the traffic control and how the speed limit, for that road, shows up on the screen. I don;t like that it doesn't give you more options when you are driving. Even the passenger doesn't get all the options. You have to put it in park.

My after market in my SSR is nice because it has accessibility no matter what is going on. It even has a blue tooth capability, and if you have it installed you can add a back up camera and sirius XM. The portable is ok.. but I rarely go someone place with out my vehickle now.. so whats the point?
thuferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel