Ford Forums banner

Lincoln 462 in my 85 F150

3K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Thudpucker 
G
#1 ·
Hi,
I would like to put a 66 Lincoln 462 in my 1985 F150. I am curious as to what standard transmission I can use with this motor, and where I could get one. Can i adapt an exisitng tranny? Any help would be appreciated. Also, am I going to have to alter the length of the driveshaft?

#2 ·
Without knowing for sure, I'd say the engine would fit, because Ford used the 460's up till 89 in the F-150's.

What your going to need is LOTS of stuff you aint got, if you dont have a Donor Vehicle.

The Driveshaft is another question, but it's easily answered when the time comes.

#4 ·
swap

That transmission problem depends on your truck.
You get the Best Milage out of an Auto, and also its the easiest to drive, and sell.
Use the C-6. Bullet proof, and so easy to adapt.

But your gonna need a Donor Truck!
You have motor mount towers, and Exhaust manifolds and emissions to worry about!

Honestly, If your truck is to be on the hiways, you'd be better off fixing it as it is.

If your creating a Racer, your making a good start, but your still a long ways off.

Go to a Wrecking yard and look at a Stock 85 F-150 with a 460 in it.

G
#5 ·
HiHi,

I can appreciate the points you are making. The transmission with the car is an early C6. However, I am not interested in drivingan automatic transmission, as it puts me to sleep. Resale value is also not an issue, because, realistically, the vehicle is being built for mild street and strip and I don't expect it to have much value.
With regards to your other points, I have a few questions - do you think that the lincoln manifolds won't clear the underside of the truck, that is, do you think they are too short? As for motor mounts, is that what you meant by going to look at a 460 f150? Do you think the mounts would be similar?
Emissions is not an issue - I live in Quebec, and we do not have emissions inspections. Currently, the truck has no emissions equipment and is running straight pipes. There s nothing wrong with the motor - it is a fresh 300 with 90k miles on it - but I am interested in a lot more power and a lot more fun. I realise that this is not an easy project and that I may have to fabricate parts. As I said, finding a standard tranny for the motor is my biggest fear.
I do have a donor truck of sorts, I stripped a lot of parts off of a friends before it was used in a jaws of life demo. The 462 generates a lot more power than a 460, which is why I am so interested. Plus, I already have one, so that also helps a lot.
Thanks again,
Ben

#6 ·
jaws of life Demo!!

What a Cruel way to die!

The exhaust manifolds differ on some V-8's. Where the Header pipe leaves the Manifold is the important point. Some out the Rear, some out the Middle and some out at an angle!

On the Motor Mount Perch's.
Look at the I-6 mounts in your truck. The part that's bolted to the Frame, has a little lift to it. That's so the engine can set on its center of gravity, and reduce vibrations.

The big V-8 is going to set on different perches. The Part bolted to the Frame will be different. It will be different for almost every vehicle the 460 went into.

There's some little things that are important. Where will the Header and manifold pipe go by the starter. Too close, and good by starter!
The oil pan drain. It might be reachable in the Lincoln, but when that same pan is in the truck, the plug might be up over the crossmember.

If your going to put a clutch in this truck, you need a Donar Truck with the Stick stuff in it.

After exchanging thoughts with you on this, I think you'd better leave your Truck alone. It'l be a good tow truck to get your strip car to and from the Races.
That truck is a wonderful vehicle as it is. You cant make it better!
I had three of those Ford Pickups and a Bronco with the 300 I-6, and wish I had my 4X4's back every night.

Get the rules for the Gas class drag Racing cars. Go to the Drags and find out what it's all about. Donate your time to a Team, and see what the inside of racing really is all about.
Then, If you still have the Fire, you can find a midsized Ford Wagon to put the lincoln in, and have a real racer. The 200+ Horses your starting with, and another $2000 bucks worth of Speed parts, will get you some trophys.

I haven't been in Drag Racing since '57' but I helped out with a much modified '47' Chev Turtle Back. The Competition was fierce, and we got some show up money from time to time, but never, not even in our best Races, did we ever recover 1/10th of the money we spent.

Racing of any kind is a "Big Bucks Sport" these days. Gone are the days of a guy showing up on Sunday with a 'Privateer' and winning his way into the money.

So save yourself some Heartache, and a lot of money. Get the Homework done, before you take another step.

G
#7 ·
I agree with the above reply about doing alot of homework. You need to start with the fact that the 462 is in the fe family of ford engines along with the 360 and 390. Nothing from a 460 can be applied to the 462. The fe engines are great engines, I have a 390 in my 76 truck, but as far as strip use is concerned you'll never be able to get the power from a 462 that you'll be able to get from a 460, mainly because there is almost no aftermarket for the older 462. The 460 would also be better because of it's ability to make it's max power at such a low rpm.

#9 ·
460's in the F-150's

Oh yeah, deed dey did, Firegod.
The 460's are listed in the F-150's at least as late as '76' which is as far back as my book goes.
My 77 F-150 Ex-cab has one, and I know the Gal that bought it new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.