A little help here? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2004, 15:44   #1 (permalink)
Certified Bronc Peeler

A little help here?

Hey Guys, I'm Andy from OKC. I just bought a 92 F-150 Ext cab, just to have a beater to get me from A to B.

The truck has the 302 in it, and it has a few problems I was wondering if I could get some input on.

The truck burns a little oil, and when I say a little I mean more like a lot. When I first start the truck up, it gives a pretty good puff of oil smoke. It occasionally smokes a bit on hard accelerations too. The oil guage stays at the lower end of Normal, but does go up a bit on the highway. Im wondering if its just a valve job that needs to be done, or if it could be something else. And if it is just a valve job, what all does that take, or how much would a shop charge for it?

It also stalls once right after its started when its sat for a while. I can restart it, and the idle will climb up to about 2500, then it calms back down. Any ideas on this one???

I also have what sounds to be like a bubbling noise coming from under the pass. side of the dash. I think this might just be the heater lines that need to be bled, or could it be something else?

Thanks a lot in advance for the help!
Andy_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2004, 17:14   #2 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Re: A little help here?

Could be the wrong type of oil?
How many Kms/Miles has the motor done?

Might be worthwhile getting a compression test and a service/ thorough going over by a reputable mechanic.

And welcome to Ford Forums!
Old 10-26-2004, 07:18   #3 (permalink)
Certified Bronc Peeler

Re: A little help here?

The truck has 138,000 miles on it. I'm not sure what kind of oil is in it, but he did say he was using a heavier weight. Probably to keep down on the smoking I guessed. This week I'm going to get some motor flush, run it through there to clean out all the gunk thats built up, and then switch her over to synthetic.

The stalling problem, I payed more attention to it this morning, and noticed that the truck does run rough before it stalls, and the voltage drops while doing it. But if I give a few presses on the gas then it will go away, and once it has been driven its usually fine, except for a slight rough idle.
Andy_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel