Ford Forums banner

Lookin for some input from the pros

853 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  CatSkinner 
#1 ·
Im in the market to purchasing my first ford truck. Ive always been a big fan of the 1997 F350 CrewCab, Long Bed. Im not planning on hauling anything but would like to have the power in my disposal when needed (helping friends move, long trips etc, don't own a boat or trailer so that's out of the question).

Ive read for the most part that there are two types of motors that came with these trucks, gas and diesel and im sure this topic has come up thousands of times but what would be my best option with what I stated above. Maintenance, gas consumtion, wear and tear, for the most part, the truck I do eventually purchase, would just be driven on weekends or on longs trips for skiing/snowboarding or camping.

I recently have found three trucks I am interested in:

If anyone can tell me their input on the two and what are some issues if any (big or small) that I should look out for and if the price seems right.

1994 - auction truck. what are some things to look out for:
Ford F 350 XL | eBay

1997 - seems flawless but you never know. Have spoken to the owner for the most part, it has no issues. he recently changed the water and fuel pumps and the windshield has a small crack. that's all.
1997 FORD F350 OBS 7.3 powerstroke diesel

and for kicks, maybe a dually is something that might suit me.
2003 Ford F350

See less See more
#2 ·
As far as a dually, no one buys a dually and uses it for a daily driver unless they absolutely have a need for a dually. Test drive one and you'll figure out why. As far as diesel, great power, a lot you can do with it, added maintenance and repair costs.

My suggestion is that you test drive several configurations before settling on that long of a truck. My work truck is an extended cab with a long box, and I need that room, but I'd never own that for personal. If I needed the back seat, I'd go with a short box and get a trailer if I needed to haul things that long.

#3 ·
thanks for you reply. that some good input. unfortunately, I don't know anyone with these trucks, I might make small talk at the gas station if I ever come across one.

how do you feel about this truck on ebay.
Ford F 350 XL | eBay
Its at a reasonable price. they happen to have relisted it since the person who won the last bid didn't pay within the time frame. The final bid at the end of the auction was $2800. I'm saving a big chunk of cash if I were to get this. How do you feel about gas instead of a diesel and what are something's I should first look for when it comes to engine work etc? I figure gas might be my route since I wont be hauling anything at all but I've read that maintenance has to be made more regularly compared to a diesel. Like I mentioned it'll just be used mainly for trips up north.

I apologize if I'm bombarding you with too many questions. Have a great weekend.

#4 ·
Looks good. What I did while scratching my head with making decisions was I went to several used car lots that dealt with your older models and test drove the different configurations. If your using it more as a passenger vehicle than a hauler, you may opt to go with a lighter duty as well. Are you going to be driving it daily?

For instance, my personal truck is a 73 sitting on a 78 frame with a 92 cammed 5.0 with dual Flowmasters and Goodyear Wrangler MT's. If I had to drive it your typical 10-12K a year to work, the tires would be a little tamer and the exhaust a little quieter. However, if this is your weekend warrior that you can afford not to drive if you don't feel like it, go for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.