man locking hubs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 14:53   #1 (permalink)

man locking hubs

hello all!

I have a 96 150 with the manual locking hubs on the dana 44 front axel. My question would be with the hubs. I've had these off a couple of times to change ball joints etc. since the allen heads are fairly stripped out I've been using a t25 socket to remove the screws for the hubs. I'd like to get some new bolts but I've noticed that the hubs don't sit securely in the wheel. the bolts are as tight as they will go. Do these streatch over time or is something wore out? I need to decide soon because I'm pretty sure I have a bad bearing on one side to the point I can see grease seeping out of the mating surface between the hub and the rotor. any help or a good course of action would be appreciated

thanks aaron
mercaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2013, 21:06   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: man locking hubs

If they are the original auto locking hubs may be best to look into a set of aftermarket hubs. The bolts can stretch or something else could be out if place.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 19:52   #3 (permalink)

I know this is late but make sure that the snap ring is still in place that secures the part that the screws go into ...
Hans
HWS-GT-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 16:34   #4 (permalink)

totally forgot to update.

Pulled off one of the hubs(had to drill four of the bolts out). Everything looked normal. reinstalled the covers using new bolts that were about 1/16" shorter than the old ones. This really seemed to snug it up quite a bit. I would say however the play in the hubs was nothing but a result of wear and tear. As far as I know they've been on the truck for 17 years and traveled with it for 175,000 miles. not engaged the whole time obviously but when you have to get out of the truck to engage the 4wd it's usually not for fun, it's hard work(for the truck...I have fun lol)
mercaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 20:04   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Thanks for the update. Glad it's holding together

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 13:06   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercaaron View Post
totally forgot to update.

Pulled off one of the hubs(had to drill four of the bolts out). Everything looked normal. reinstalled the covers using new bolts that were about 1/16" shorter than the old ones. This really seemed to snug it up quite a bit. I would say however the play in the hubs was nothing but a result of wear and tear. As far as I know they've been on the truck for 17 years and traveled with it for 175,000 miles. not engaged the whole time obviously but when you have to get out of the truck to engage the 4wd it's usually not for fun, it's hard work(for the truck...I have fun lol)
Glad to see you got it worked out
F150Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel