Maybe Fuel Problem? f150 4.9L FI 1990 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 17:40   #1 (permalink)

Maybe Fuel Problem? f150 4.9L FI 1990

1990 Ford f150 pickup truck with a 4.9L fuel injected 6 cylinder engine.,

I'm at a loss now. I don't know the history because the person giving me the truck doesn't know either. (I did some work that's not relevant here). Relevant here, I changed the fuel pump with a junkyard one. It took a lot of work, particularly removing the one in the junkyard.

Now I need to get it running properly. I can't get it to respond the the throttle. that is, when I get it to start, it's hard to "gun" the engine; in may cough and die. But after it warms, it seems to respond to the throttle better.

I tried the self test (Ford Fuel Injection How To Run a Self-Test self-test, with "ST in" grounded ) and with the engine off I got 556 meaning fuel pump circuit. I didn't do the test while the engine running because I did't know how then. But I just learned you start the engine, then ground the wire ST1.

And where is the Schrader valve to do a fuel pump pressure test? I found the fuel rail but where is the valve? Is it in the back? Anybody have a diagram?

And what's my next step? I think it's a pressure test, right?

Any suggestions at all will be appreciated.

~~ Nehmo
Nehmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 17:45   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Re: Maybe Fuel Problem? f150 4.9L FI 1990

Welcome Nehmo!

The Schrader valve looks just like the one used in the valve stems of your tires. There may be a plastic cap over it that needs to be unscrewed to expose it.
Old 09-01-2010, 17:39   #3 (permalink)

Well, I know it's supposed to look like something with a cap on it and it's on the fuel rail, but where is it? It doesn't appear to be in the front of the engine, so is it in the back? I know this sounds stupid, but I haven't found it yet.
~ Nehmo
Old 09-04-2010, 17:29   #4 (permalink)

Ok, I found the valve. It's in the rear, and it's covered by everything.
I'm waiting for a ride to get the tester.
~Nehmo
Old 09-07-2010, 11:52   #5 (permalink)

I got a fuel pressure gauge and connected it. The pressure was plenty high. Apparently, the fuel pump is OK. (At least that part it done.) When I started the engine, this time the engine ran better. But the idle was very high, and I tried to lower it by backing off on a screw that goes vertically and the bottom of which limits the turning of a shaft of the throttle.
But I didn't have a battery jump available, and couldn't restart the engine after I turned it off.
When I start it cold, it's hard to start, and the idle position of the throttle isn't high enough to keep the engine running. But then after it warms a bit, the engine runs way too fast at idle. It seems there is something wrong here.
So I guess the problem now is to get it to consistently run well. And I need to do something to make it run at the proper idle speed.

~~ Nehmo
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel