More Help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 15:20   #1 (permalink)

More Help

Hello, I am back with my 2000 Ford F-150 4.6 V-8, which, well, has problems. Around 40-45 mph it has a shake to it small but noticable. You can gas it out but it returns around 60-65 less noticable but still there. Around Thanksgivin 09 we diagnosticed it and it stated EGR and valve 4 and 6 misfire. I have read up and have heard that a DPFE sensor (EGR sensor) may be the cause of my problem. I read that Ford had a problem with this and it was farely common. My question is can I unplug the sensor, (which I belive to be two hoses and one electrical wire), and the truck still run? I know it is probably slightly illeagal but if the truck ran without it and it had no shake would that not prove that the sensor was my problem? I plan to replace the sensor if thats what it is, but I need to know. ANY imput is appreciated always. Thanks
woodsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2010, 17:44   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: More Help

I don't think the shake is EGR related. You can bypass the EGR, but it's better replacing the unit for legality purposes. I've personally never had an EGR fail, so I can't tell you what the symptoms were, even though I'm sure it's a bit different for each vehicle.

I'd look more into the driveline. You'll have to try a bit more to narrow down the source of the shake. First thing (you can do this yourself) is to rotate the tires. An out of balance tire can cause a shake, a bad wheelbearing can also cause a shake, and some steering play depending on how it was wearing. Front end suspension components should be given a once over to make sure nothings broken, etc.

As the shake happens at two different speed ranges, my other 'guess' here is that your driveshaft is out of round. You'll have to get a shop to check for this. It can be common on more abused vehicles, as if driven over rough terrain, or debris, things can dent or damage the driveshaft giving off a pulsing sensation at different speeds (depending on engine and road speed, not just by the gear the truck is in at any given time).

If you pop the hood and the engine itself is shaking, then I'd recommend the obvious from a maintenance standpoint, from an engine code scanning to a full tune up.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:14   #3 (permalink)

Re: More Help

Same problem with 2003 F150. Done exactly same thing you described.
Ended up being the EGR valve itself. Mine had a worn/damaged diaphram which allowed moisture in the system. Replaced the EGR Solenoid, control module, and EGR valve (salvage yard). Also cleaned the Tube and vaccuum lines. Runs like a new one!
Also check your plugs! Heard thru the grapevine the 4.6's have a problem with them getting loose and causing misfires or evenworse damage causing cracked heads (like mine).
SBROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel