my 1995 5.8 idles fast-slow-fast-slow..... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 10:02   #1 (permalink)
1993 F-250 plow truck

my 1995 5.8 idles fast-slow-fast-slow.....

My 1995 F250 w/5.8 EFI, autiomatic farm truck starts up fine and then idles up to 1,000/1200... then it drops so low it quits sometimes. If I stay inside (instead of brushing 16" of snow off the hood while it warms up) and keep my foot in it, it runs fine while it warms up, then I can leave it alone. At working temp it runs and idles like a champ. I did find a vacuum leak under the hood and repaired it. The only thing that changed is that all my HV/AC selections work again. I picked up a shop manual for the truck and am now wondering if the IAC is shot or just needs removed, cleaned and replaced. Any one been here, done this?
Forgot to mention that while this is going on I smell raw fuel at the back of the truck until it settles down so I'm wasting fuel as well.
Your guidance, suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated!
DizzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 10:45   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: my 1995 5.8 idles fast-slow-fast-slow.....

Possibly engine temp coolant sensor ? If faulty it could send wrong info to the PCM causing it to send too much fuel .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:01   #3 (permalink)
1993 F-250 plow truck

Re: my 1995 5.8 idles fast-slow-fast-slow.....

All fixed! I pulled the idle air control off and sprayed half a can of carb cleaner through it along with a few gentle shots of air. Checked that the plunger and spring inside moved freely. Sprayed on some lube and put it back on the truck. It starts up and idles perfectly now, no raw fuel smell and slows to normal idle soon as engine temp comes up. Plan "B" was to pick a new one up at NAPA for $59.00.
DizzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel