My first truck. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 16:59   #1 (permalink)

My first truck.

Gonna pick this baby up next month for a mere $500. It's a 74 F-250 Ranger with the 390 2bbl. It's all original, straight body, one owner. It's been sittng for 5 years since the guy died. His daughters just fill up the tires when they go down. It's my first project, so I'm sure I will have a billion questions to ask you guys. Well, here's Flo!

F-250 Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 19:31   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: My first truck.

I love those old trucks. I'll take one of those any day over a new one.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 16:43   #3 (permalink)

So what do you want to do with it ? I have 3 in my yard. 1/2 ton to one ton. They get 10 M.P.G. no mater what you do to it. Nice truck. It's worth 500 bucks. Are both gas tanks still good ? Is the transmission still good or did it dry out ?
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 22:52   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
So what do you want to do with it ? I have 3 in my yard. 1/2 ton to one ton. They get 10 M.P.G. no mater what you do to it. Nice truck. It's worth 500 bucks. Are both gas tanks still good ? Is the transmission still good or did it dry out ?

I haven't turned it over yet. Just been doing fluid replacement and some clean up. I'm going to get a battery this weekend and see if it will start. I'm going to keep it stock, with the usual upgrades (electronic ignition, fan, fuel pump, choke, etc.). At some point I'm going to do a complete rebuild of the engine, partly because of its age and partly just to learn how to do it. Then I'm going to put it to work. I know the original owner wouldn't want it to only be a grocery getter.
Old 01-18-2010, 20:45   #5 (permalink)
canuck

Nice project! I always love looking under a hood where all you see is ENGINE instead of plastic covers with NO space anywhere.

I'd also add some good new (or slightly used) tires as well. I'm sure the tires are a solid 10+ years old, let alone having the rims sit on the sidewall for even a short period can weaken the tire.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 00:07   #6 (permalink)

Ok, so I did my basic maintenance and tried to start the engine up this weekend. I was able to get it to run for about 10 seconds at a time by pouring gas into the carb. I pulled off the fuel filter and it and the fuel line were bone dry. Do you think this is a fuel pump issue, or is it just taking while for fuel to cycle from the tank to the carb? The carb was really gunked up so I decided to do a rebuild, and I was thinking about swapping out the fuel pump since it's only about $40, but the engine has factory air and the compressor is right above the pump. What is the likelyhood that it's something wrong with the fuel sending unit in the gas tank? Any advice is appreciated.

I almost forgot. How in the hell do you get to the #3, #4, and #8 spark plugs? I tried everything I could but I couldn't get a good angle on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel