My First Truck. Some help?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 21:15   #1 (permalink)

My First Truck. Some help??

Hi all. This is my first post. I am turning sixteen this January, and I am trying to get my first Ford up and running. It's an '83 F150 with a 351 engine that's almost shot. I want to replace the engine, but what kind of engine do I put in? What engines offer the most power/speed? We are also currently replacing the transmission (automatic) and I wanted to know if the engine should be replaced at the same time we do the tranny. I'd like to kind of soup this thing up. I plan to put straights on it and make it roar, so that goes back to the engine question again. I'd appreciate any help/experience you have had with this stuff. Can't wait to get this baby going!!
RebelFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2009, 02:07   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: My First Truck. Some help??

Welcome to the forums. I moved your post to the Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel for more answers.

If it were me, I would rebuild the 351, add a mild cam, dual plane intake, headers and a good carburetor. An ignition box (I like a MSD 6A or 6AL) a hot coil and performance wires are also a plus.

If the transmission needs rebuilt it would be easier to do it all at once.

Straight pipe? I wouldn't do it. You will become a target with cops in your area really quick.

Be sure to check the emission laws in your state. If they do emission inspections you will run into problems.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:55   #3 (permalink)

Ok, I appreciate it. I think rebuilding the engine will end up a lot cheaper. Thanks for the specifics on replacement stuff. As far as emission laws, we don't have restrictions on that out here. Plus, this is kind of an offroad/play time type truck. I don't plan on running it on main highways. As far as a cop target, out here in boondocks USA, we shouldn't have any problems. But again, thanks for the information.
RebelFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:58   #4 (permalink)

I have a a real nice running & looking 428 FE for sale. 400 rwhp. Show winner. Complete. $7,000.

My ad is in the for sale section.

http://www.fordforums.com/f609/sale-...-000-a-169455/

email- cobrakev@galaxycable.net

phone- 402-781-2322

Thank you,
Kevin

(427HISS)
427HISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel