Need help with fuel line repair!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 11:07   #1 (permalink)

Need help with fuel line repair!!!

Hi All, we have a 2001 F150 Supercrew (5.4, automatic, 2wd) that had the fuel pump die at night, in a remote town, while on vacation. Was actually able to obtain & change out the fuel pump but had to cut the fuel lines to the tank & to the fuel filter to do the job. Was able to jury-rig the fuel line repairs & get back on the road. Got home & the price to replace the fuel lines with OEM parts (fuel lines, connectors) is ridiculous! Want to switch the fuel lines & connectors to something easier to work with (in case of future trouble), and hopefully NOT expensive. I realize the fuel lines now have to handle a lot more fuel pressure then they did years ago. Back then you could just get some rubber fuel line & screw clamps & run all new lines. Does anyone have any suggestions and/or sources that I can go to to get some new fuel line and fuel line connectors?
oldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 16:03   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Need help with fuel line repair!!!

I think you're reading too much into it, the fuel pump lasted you 10 years, why not take a set of basic tools with a few specialized tools for working the fuel system?
Old 02-09-2013, 17:41   #3 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Check Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and see about getting used lines. It's too dangerous to fabricate something. A leak when it's hot can cause a fire.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:57   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

There should not have been any cutting involved in changing the filter or fuel pump. Replace the lines with OEM parts. As you mentioned, rubber fuel line and clamps worked "back then", and I remember those times, but are dangerous with the fuel pressure involved in your truck.

Why did you change both? Perhaps the pump was OK and the fuel filter should have been changed first. Mine often clog up after traveling to Mexico.

You should always carry a spare filter and the special tools to release the fuel line connectors. They fit into the spare filter box. BTW, my filters need to be changed often, around 12,000 miles.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:32   #5 (permalink)

Hi everyone, and thanks for the help. It was late at night and so we were working in the dark trying to change the pump on the side of the road. Normally there shouldn't be any 'cutting' involved but we tried several times & could not get the connectors near the tank apart, nor the line from the fuel pump. I guess frustration over-took good sense & I made the decision to cut the lines and then patch them just to get the repair completed. I have seen auto parts catalogs (JEGGS, JC Whitney) advertise fuel lines and connectors and I was thinking that I could use some of those to repair the lines--And I was thinking that those connectors would make it easier to un-do in the future for any other needed repairs. I just don't have any experience changing out stock fuel lines to the new stuff. Thoughts?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:15   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

We've all been stuck at the side of the road, it's no fun, especially at night!

I'm going to the speed shop today. I will ask at the shop, and also check Summit for a solution. My first thoughts, however, are to stay stock. Check the junkyard.

The stock ford connectors are easy to disconnect/connect with just a small tool easily carried in the glove box. You can buy a pack, made of plastic, with all the sizes needed for your truck's fuel and A/C connectors, for less than $5. Keep the fuel line tools in your truck with an extra filter (they easily fit behind the seat in a crew cab). You never know when you might get a bad tank of fuel, and change your fuel filter at recommended intervals, more often if you suspect "bad gas" (can't wait for the comments on that!).

Where are you located? I am in SoCal.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:25   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

The only fuel line fittings I could find were AN; expensive stuff, but I use them in custom applications and know they work, and replacement fittings by Dorman. The Dormans are OEM replacement fittings, not expensive, but I have no experience with them.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:08   #8 (permalink)

if your in a pinch for money checkout rockauto.com. Fuel line disconnect tools are like 5 bucks at autozone or advanced im sure you can handle that.
Doug14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 16:15   #9 (permalink)

Thanks everyone, I think the best plan is to go to the junkyard and replace everything with stock fittings. I have a fuel fitting tool but I didn't have it that night. I just long for the days of old when we could take apart most things with a few simple tools.
Old 02-16-2013, 16:22   #10 (permalink)
Moderators

" I just long for the days of old when we could take apart most things with a few simple tools. "

R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel