Ford Forums banner

need a new f-350 diesel

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  CatSkinner 
#1 ·
Looking to buy a new Ford truck...I have had my 1978 F-250 Super cab 4x4 since it was new and cost about $6,800..has about 60,000 miles on it... It has been a great truck but I've replaced too many sheet metal parts.. Too much rust... I'm looking to get a new F-350 diesel... The prices are way up there, but it's about time for what I've been thinking about for several years... I need some input about the aluminum heads and the new turbo configuration . Any thoughts in general.... ..
Thanks
Hans

#4 ·
A brand new one with all the bells and whistles... At my age my wife said It's about time for a new one.. I also have a daily driver for the winter and I don't commute.. I would like to know about all the negative items and the good ones.... I searched the internet for comments but I prefer the Ford forums.. I also have a shop in the back with a lift where I do all my work, not commercial so I take good care of my vehicles.

Hans

#5 ·
Well, any diesel comes with a high maintenance cost, tag that with the fuel mileage with the newer engines (particularly the EcoBoost) it's getting harder and harder to justify diesel unless you're pulling something. The same goes with the one ton. Brakes, and what not are higher. Are you planning on pulling a heavy load? An octane burner still won't give the sheer raw low end grunt a diesel will, but (in my opinion) the added expense of a 1T diesel over a lighter truck is pretty hard to justify. My work truck is an F150 with the V-6 Eco and I carry a little over a 1000 lbs in the bed, it's surprisingly strong putting out over 300 ponies. Just make sure you get the heavy duty tires. Our fleet service orders them all with street tires and as soon as these mushy things wear out, I'm going with some E rated.

#6 · (Edited)
I don't know about maintenance cost since I've always done my own work, starting with my parents 1958 Edsel a long time ago.. I don't plan on pulling any heavy loads but one never knows.. I was thinking about the last year of the 7.2 but the price is up there for a low mileage one. A new one would come with a warranty, so I don't have to worry about a breakdown.. I plan on keeping my 1978 f-250 and restoring it. I just want something new like the F350 Diesel dually 4x4.
Hans

#9 ·
It's been overall a good motor. If you don't need a diesel it's a BIG expense. If buying a new truck it's $8500 just for the diesel option. Plus added expense of more oil at oil change, diesel exhaust fluid and fuel that is more expensive. Yes mileage is a little better depending on how you drive. When I was buying I calculated almost 150,000 miles to recover the cost of the diesel after added expenses.

#13 ·
They take higher temperatures and naturally have lower friction. I work in industrial and commercial HVAC and a lot of the big equipment are using ceramic these days. With ceramic, you open up a whole slew of other lubricants with much thinner viscosities. We're presently using ceramic bearings and using the refrigerant in the compressor as the lubricant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.