new powerstroke owner - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 12:51   #1 (permalink)
jpracin

new powerstroke owner

i just bought a 04 powersroke with 130,000 miles on it. it is completly stock. im looking for a intake, programmer, and turbo back exhaust system. i have heard i may want to invest in a oil catch system as well??? i hate loud exhaust systems that u cant hear urself think when driving. so i dont really want to go any bigger than a 4''. i do alot of long distance traveling and am just looking for better millage and a little better power while pullen my car hauler. any advice would b great. thanks
jpracin450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 16:48   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: new powerstroke owner

Um, I hope you bought a truck to go with your '04 powerstroke!

I'd check out Banks Power Banks Power | Diesel Performance and Gas Performance Products for power boosting add-ons. Their products are carefully designed not to increase EGT's above safe levels (exhaust gas temperature).

As far as an oil catch system, the last time I saw one of those was attached to a 1990 8V92 Detroit Diesel (12.0L) motor coach! It was a 2 stroke engine and randomly spat out oil. The oil was still good to use so it was stored in a catch tank (about a gallon in size, total oil capacity was around 12gallons), so if the driver needed to add oil, he'd let some ooze back into the engine from the catch tank saving himself a nice mess on his clothes. I believe it was mandated by some states to have the catch tank in place before you could drive on their interstates. A DOT inspection could cost the company dearly if they disobeyed this! It's not necessary for today's modern diesels as they're a lot more economical than they used to be.

To obtain best mileage, outside of performance parts, is to change fluids over to synthetic oils including transmission, differentials and even the engine if it doesn't burn or lose much oil between changes. If the engine oil holds level for 4-5K I'd change it out to synthetics. This will allow smoother operation of internal components (decreasing friction) and you'll be able to drive 12-15K on an oil change versus the 6-7K on dino oil.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 19:29   #3 (permalink)

Re: new powerstroke owner

seeing that you have over 130k miles on the truck, i would not convert to synthetic. if it does not have synthetic in it leave it alone. the motor is not used to oil being that thin and it will leak at your seals on the motor. it takes 15w-40 no matter what. i have worked at auto zone and advance and work at a junkyard and know what im talking about. DO NOT CONVERT TO SYNTHETIC!!!
slickvic3106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel