No 4WD - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 19:43   #1 (permalink)

No 4WD

Hi everyone. My first post, so thanks in advance. I have a 1998 F150 4x4. Manual transmission with auto lock front hubs. Around 85K on it. Last time I used the 4WD, it worked fine. Never any trouble or indication of trouble. Now, I pull into 4WD and nothing happens. The light comes on showing in 4WD, but neither front tire engages. It feels like it did before while pulling into 4WD, Both hi and low does not work. Any ideas? Thank you.
walleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 16:29   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: No 4WD

As it's a manual lever do you feel any resistance when moving it into 4wd? There should be a slight resistance before it slides into place. If it slides around freely, then the forks in the transfer case are shot and need to be replaced. If anything else it'd be a good idea to check out the fluid level.

If you have the electronic switch on the dash to change drive modes, then the TCCM or transfer case control module is shot. It does the switching for you (lazy mode), and your best calling around local salvage yards as a dealer part will be in the multi hundred dollar range. If you're familiar with vehicles you could change it out yourself. It's under the dash behind the center console (access through footwell area).

I'm not too familiar with the auto lock front hubs, but perhaps you should make sure they're engaged properly as well. The transfer case might be engaging fine but the front wheels could be disconnected....
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel