"The not so Goodyear Wranglers" - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 03:59   #1 (permalink)

"The not so Goodyear Wranglers"

I Got a on a set of new tires & rims that were an optional upgrade from stock. Actually, they have 1.5 miles on them (distance from dealer to the tire & wheel specialty store). Goodyear wrangler P235/75 RT/S, 15"rims w/Ford logo centercaps @ $140/all. I assumed he saw some setup he had to have after truck deal's ink had dried, or he wouldn't have wasted the money the upgrade added to the cost of the truck. The first indication that a "Seems like everything I touch, turns to shit day" was right around the corner, just waiting to see what I was gonna do next. was when once again, I found myself the victim of yet another one of Ford's "Better Ideas". This one was the " Maybe we're loosing sales cause they're tired of looking at the same damn lug pattern on the 15" wheels year after year." But even though the rims were useless, I still needed tires so I was going to get the tires remounted to my old rims, and at $106. ea. retail, it still beat a smack upside the head.From then on,the head smacking starts to look like a better choice. For some reason I decided to do a quick Googlfacation and found a current site that rated tire by brand /model & vehicle used based on customer satisfaction w/comments and only 1 in 10 said they'd buy another set. Comments like "highest level of road noise they'd ever heard"."minimal road surface wetness caused tires to break loose while accelerating and braking", " became so terrified seeing first drop of rain on windshield, would park and call someone to pick them up"."vehicle sways w/changing lanes, and a lot stating "tires worn out after by 25k miles and less". Except the 1 person that intended to buy again and saying he had no complaints at all & expected to reach 100k before needing to replace. Anybody out there using or have use d this tire let me know what your opinion is on them. It seems hard to believe that after dropping 30k on a new truck that a set of tires could suck so bad that after 1.5 miles, I need new tires. When I called the guy I bought them from and asked him why, he just said he decided he wanted something different, which was the same size in a Michelin w/ a similar thread pattern.
ymeski56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2008, 13:29   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: "The not so Goodyear Wranglers"

I agree with you 100%. They are crap. They don't last long at all. Dry traction is horrible & wet traction can be scary on certain kinds of pavement. I changed over to Michelin's

I found out when shopping for tires that the 255/70's are a little cheaper than the 235/75's. The tire height is about the same but the 255's are a little wider. They seem to offer a better ride and last longer.

Check out one of our sponsors sites for tire reviews & sizing Home - Discount Tire Direct
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:28   #3 (permalink)

I had a set of Wranglers on my 98 Expedition and replaced them with another set of Wranglers in 2003 I think. Those were 255 or 265 X 16's, I think.

First set lasted 55 thousand miles, second set had 45K on them when I sold the truck.

My truck was a 2wd. Never had any problems with them at all. Got lucky, I guess.
k8vf-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 19:21   #4 (permalink)
canuck

I got good mileage out of my Wrangler HPs and RTS tires. {275/60R17 and P235/75R15, respectively. I still use one of the HP's as a spare tire on my Dodge. I was able to coax out 118,000kms (73K_ out of them. I can't say much for the RTS tires, as I sold the old C1500 before I got a chance to wear'm out.

The tire sponsor here should be able to get you a great price on some tires. Home - Discount Tire Direct

If you want reviews, you can go where millions of people a year go, to Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels and check out online tire reviews and ratings. It's a very informative site with real user reviews and how a tire ranks within its respective category. I believe the Firestone A/T tire is at the top of the list. Personally, I'd pay the extra bucks and get Michelin's new AT2 tire that came out last fall. It looks great and has a decent biting edge. It'll be my next set if/when these BFG Long Trail TAs will ever wear out....
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 19:24   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
I got good mileage out of my Wrangler HPs and RTS tires. {275/60R17 and P235/75R15, respectively. I still use one of the HP's as a spare tire on my Dodge. I was able to coax out 118,000kms (73K_ out of them. I can't say much for the RTS tires, as I sold the old C1500 before I got a chance to wear'm out.

The tire sponsor here should be able to get you a great price on some tires. Home - Discount Tire Direct

If you want reviews, you can go where millions of people a year go, to Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels and check out online tire reviews and ratings. It's a very informative site with real user reviews and how a tire ranks within its respective category. I believe the Firestone A/T tire is at the top of the list. Personally, I'd pay the extra bucks and get Michelin's new AT2 tire that came out last fall. It looks great and has a decent biting edge. It'll be my next set if/when these BFG Long Trail TAs will ever wear out....
TireRack link does not work for some reason.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel