Oil change Help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2004, 13:15   #1 (permalink)

Oil change Help

Does anyone know if it makes much of a difference if you use 5w20 or 5w30 synthetic, after changing my oil just now I noticed that I bought and put in 5w30 instead of 5w20. I would appreciate any advice. thanx chris p.s. forgot to mention it's an 03 4.2L v6

Last edited by chris42V6; 01-18-2004 at 13:18.
chris42V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2004, 14:42   #2 (permalink)
BOFH

Re: Oil change Help

I would expect 5-30w to be the superior oil. It would allow for higher operating temps without turning to water.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 20:06   #3 (permalink)

Yes, go with the 5W-30 instead of the 20. From everything that I've read, Ford went with the lighter weight oil to improve fuel economy. Using a thinner oil will shorten the life of the engine but as long as it makes it through the standard and extended warranty periods.....they really don't care. Use the 5W-30.
Full 3" stainless Bassani Exhaust
32" BFG's/stock suspension

"No replacement for displacement."

"Our lugnuts require more torque than most Honda's produce!"
'92BigBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 19:10   #4 (permalink)
powerstroke

Ford went to 5W20 because when it is really cold outside it was the only oil that wouldn't blow i think the head gasket, i might be wrong about it being the head gasket but it the other oils would do damage otherwise
Old 03-03-2004, 21:59   #5 (permalink)

Not to dig up old bones.... but

I new here in this forum and I have read everything about this thread. I would first like to say that the Nissan Titan is not a Jap truck! The only thing Jap on any Nissan is the Transmission. Nissan sold out to America a couple of years ago, and there isn't one Nissan built in Japan. I have been an automotive tech. for about 4 yrs now and i would like to bring up the fact that Dodge sucks. I sorry, but who in there right mind goes out and buys a vehicle that will have leaking headgaskets, will have tranny problems, and will have fuel economy problems all before 60K miles (Dodge)? Every Dodge I have seen has these simptoms. I'm not just bashing on Dodge.... every vehicle has their fluke. But not many have alot of gaurenteed problems like Dodge. Keep in mind, not even if you baby it, it doesn't matter. How do I know, well I was stupid at one time and bought a Ram 1500 V8. And this Hemi hype..... yeah you might beet me in the hemi Ram comming off the showrrom floor, but the time you spend all your money on repairs, I could have alot of small mods to blow the doors off that Hemi. And needless to say, if the Hemi doesn't run outa gas! A tech I work with has one (2003) and he is so upside down on his payments he won't be able to get rid of it without at least 10 Grand. He says he is lucky to get 12-14 mpg on highway and it's just a single cab 4x2. So is it worth it? How about spend ohhh say $1100 on a 4.6V8 Tritan F-150 (new style) and easiely walk away from that hemi.... how? Add: Dual highflow Flowmaster Exhaulst, X-pipe,K&N Cold Air Intake, Smaller Pullies, smaller belt, and Performance Computer Program Mod. If you have another 1K, replace the plastic intake with a performance alluminum intake that you can get from the Ford Parst counter.... it comes warrantied for 35k miles or 3yrs. If you ask me, spending some extra money on a good solid truck that might not be fast when you first buy it...... is a hell of alot better idea than getting something that you can't find performance mods for as easiely. Plus, the "Hemi" engine is a specialty engine and that means that aftermarket performance parts are double or even triple what regular engines are. Note I have a 2000 ford Mustang Coupe and have not had any problems on it (48K milke) and I drive it like I stole it everyday.

Fords Rule.... Dodge Drool
IronMan19K1O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 01:21   #6 (permalink)

I think you got a bit lost there Ironman :s6:
89F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel