Ford Forums banner

Oil gauge problems

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jwko 
#1 ·
I have a 97 f150 with a 4.2 L engine. When the engine is warm and I stop the oil gauge will start to bob up and down. I replaced the oil pump when I had the heads replaced and also the oil sending unit was replaced about a month ago. There is no engine knock to tell me that it is starving for oil. I will replace the oil filter and it will be okay for about a week then back to the same problem.

#2 ·
Oil starvation isn't always associated with an engine knock. I'd try running a GOOD known engine cleaner, such as Auto-RX or SeaFoam. Seafoam can be found at most auto parts stores and there are several different ways you can use it. It's good for cleaning out carbon deposits and sludge; freeing up oil passages.

Worst case is your main bearings are on their way out. Once oil pressure drops significantly (when the pump tests OK) then it's a sure sign that the main bearings are shot at that point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.