Oils in Effie 5 Speeds - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2005, 06:00   #1 (permalink)

Oils in Effie 5 Speeds

The book says to use auto tranny fluid in the manual gearbox

I did this since i owned it, about 5 months now, and a whine has started in the box now..

Does everyone use AT fluid??

I am tempted to go to a light gearbox oil.. what would be the conceqences??
Stangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2005, 20:35   #2 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Re: Oils in Effie 5 Speeds

I have never heard of using AT oil in standard transmissions. It does not have the lubricating qualities of regular tranny oil like 50W or 90W. No wonder you got whinning now, seems like these auto manufacture's want you to wear out parts long before their lifespan in order to sell you more. I would try 50W and if that doesn't help go to 90W which most standard trannies use. I have an 88 F-150 with a T18 warner four speed and those trannies always required 90W. Its the same stuff used in rear ends unless you have a lock up type rear axle. You might have harder shifting with 90W, but I doubt it.
Butchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:32   #3 (permalink)

yeah... i gonna drain it this weekend and try for the thicker oil

It definately has an oil leak, but if the oil eliminates the whine.. then i will just fix up the gaskets

I am quoting from www.drivetrain.com and they said
"The shifter tower has the infamous three rubber plugs in back that are prone to leak if not changed to steel."

I am hoping that that is all the leak is

anywho.. cheers for the reply
Old 09-09-2005, 07:49   #4 (permalink)
'88 F-150

i took my '88 into the dealership in town here about 2 years ago and had them do a complete fluid, filter, and sparkplug change. when they got all the new things in they took it for a test drive and all of a sudden the transmission wouldnt go into first third or fourth. they said because the transmission fluid that was in it had been in there so long that it had thickened and the gears had worn down more and only that thick oil would work for it. so they had to replace the transmission :D heh. moral of the story...change fluids regularly heh.
Torcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 00:53   #5 (permalink)

i startin to think they are stooging us by putting AT fluid in.. every gearbox of this kind i have heard of has blown up..

i replaced the AT fluid with some gear oil.. the noise is still there, but everything feels smoother. Dunno.. still gonna go with a bearing rebuild kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel