performance chips good or bad? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 15:06   #1 (permalink)

performance chips good or bad?

hi, i am new to this forum i have a 92 f 150 with a 4.9 l6 5 speed manual. Im getting ready to take a trip down to florida and i was gonna tow my boat. I was looking in to these performance chips that are suppose to give you 50% more torque and hp. I was wondering if these things really work and if they are safe or not. I also see they are suppose to give you like 3-6 more mpg which would be great since im going a long distance. I keep my truck in good condition and maintaine it constantly. I recently put a cat back from summit racing on 3inch pipe. It makes a nice difference and makes it sound nice but i didnt notice much better fuel economy. So basically i would like to know if anybody has tried these chips and if they work or not and also if its gonna mess up my motor it has about 160k on it and runs smooth as ever. I want to keep it that way just want more power for the tow and see if i can save some gas. thanx alot sorry for the long post.
micheali9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2010, 06:28   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: performance chips good or bad?

if you had a never vehicle (electronically controlled) a chip can produce up to 15hp and 15lb ft of torque. Older vehicles, you'll be lucky to see 5hp/5tq and fuel mileage gain will not be noticeable. Your best bet is to get a larger throttle body, cold air intake and a freer flowing exhaust to gain maximum performance from your I6. I wouldn't chip it. if you want to, stay away from JET chips, as they offer the least amount of HP gains out of all other brands, and when all told, are NOT worth the money. You'll want to sell it after you buy it.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 17:48   #3 (permalink)

what other throttle body can i put on it from what motor a 5.0 or 5.8? Thank you so much for your reply that was my first one. i thought this forum would be alot more active. I put a 3 in cat back on last month from summit racing. It was only 150$ and it really opened it up. Now i want to do the intake cause im gettinb the air out good now i have to get more in and i should see an even better gain. Is it possible for me to put a 5.8 v8 in my truck? its a 92 f 150 xlt. That would be nice if i can cause i can get the motor for next to nothing probably from a friend that owns a salvage yard.
micheali9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 17:05   #4 (permalink)
canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheali9 View Post
what other throttle body can i put on it from what motor a 5.0 or 5.8? Thank you so much for your reply that was my first one. i thought this forum would be alot more active. I put a 3 in cat back on last month from summit racing. It was only 150$ and it really opened it up. Now i want to do the intake cause im gettinb the air out good now i have to get more in and i should see an even better gain. Is it possible for me to put a 5.8 v8 in my truck? its a 92 f 150 xlt. That would be nice if i can cause i can get the motor for next to nothing probably from a friend that owns a salvage yard.
Anything's possible if you put your time and money into it. Going to a 5.8L would involve a lot of changes, from engine mounts, to changing out the transmission so it can handle the higher output, to retuning the front suspension to handle the additional weight.

As for the throttle body, it should fit without much hassle depending on the year. I know for some I6 engines, they had dual inlets like the older Dodge trucks, but later switched to a single 70+mm opening.

If you want PERFORMANCE without spending a lot of money, your best bet is to swap out the gear axle, or just the gears, for a lower ratio. If you're running say 3.55s, going to 4.56 ratio will give you the performance of a lightly modded V8. The downside is increased mileage (slightly) on the highway, but again, a V8 eats gas just as well anyway. As you'd be willing to swap it out for a 5.8L V8, I can't see fuel cost being an issue. A rear end swap can be done for as little as $200 if you do the work yourself. If you want taller gears, like 4.56 you'll have to order them, as a salvage yard won't have those in stock. New gears will cost a few hundred dollars, installation will double the price.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel