Please help me - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 19:34   #1 (permalink)
TKO

Please help me

Car died, in my last post I thought my alternator was bad, went and bought a new one, jumped it. It ran and I watche the battery guage drop until it died. Checked a lot of grounds, and charged the battery at autozone, they talked about parasitic amp draw. Well the battery lasted me halfway home, and shut off, all lights on and fine, wouldn't start, switched fuel tanks, smelled gas and nothing, it eventually started and ran for 5 seconds an died. I'm thinking fuel pump is draining battery or over amping and draining the battery enough so alternator can't charge the battery. Suggestions please
TKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 20:03   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Please help me

If it was your fuel pump, I'd think it would blow the fuse. Check that your fuses are the of the correct rating, then take an amp draw with the key on and the engine off, on your main supply, then with the engine running to see what you've got for an amp draw.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:19   #3 (permalink)
TKO

Can I check amp draw where the fuses are plugged in or do I physically have to be on top of the parts? And I didn't see that this topic posted. I said the same thing in my last response to my other thread.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:00   #4 (permalink)
TKO

I've been looking around and I see how to test it. I'm not by my truck right now. And everything I'm reading is for a slow battery drain over a day or 2. My battery is dying within an hour. Like 10miles of driving. I can witness how fast it's draining.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:34   #5 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Do you have an amp meter? A clamp style. Take the amperage from the hot wire from the battery and the amp draw from the alternator. The added value should be the total (approx) amp draw of your truck.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:03   #6 (permalink)
TKO

Yes I do. And do I do this while it's running? And put the clamp around the hot wire closest to battery, and the neutral wire that plugs onto the alternator?
Old 10-28-2012, 08:04   #7 (permalink)
TKO

And in response to your other reply, no I didn't test my coil, and you mean my ignition coil? How would I test that?
Old 10-28-2012, 08:36   #8 (permalink)
Moderators

Hello TKO:
Anything drawing enough amperage to cause your battery to drain in minutes should cause a fuse or fusible link to "blow". How old is your battery and was it tested when you charged it? Follow Cat Skinner's advice, check for excessive current flow, but don't forget to check simple things first.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:56   #9 (permalink)
Moderators

Never known a good battery to drain in such a short time whilst driving . Checking for a parasitic drain wouldn't apply in this case it's so bad . Only thing I can think off if battery had dud cell/s it wouldn't hold a charge and alternator would be battering it's brains in trying to keep up with the drain .
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:15   #10 (permalink)
TKO

The battery is used from autozone. I can always put another one in and is there a way to test If a cell is dead? And I will check amps. I have to tow it home after work. Bringing starter up to autozone to test it also. And a little light couldn't pull that much could it? Or maybe the cell just died in the battery and wouldn't charge anymore. Thanks for the replies. Just getting a list of things to try after work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel