problem with my f150 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2002, 19:32   #1 (permalink)
rplimpi

confused problem with my f150

i recently purchased as '97 ford f150 w/ a new engine (only 1500 miles). ...the truck had run for 120k+ miles by the previous owner before a new engine was installed.

anyway the truck had run perfectly for the month i've owned it until just the other day. out of nowhere while on the interstate, i suddenly lost all power. 'suddenly', as in within 2 seconds... the car did not shake or slow down. it just lost all power as i was cruising along.

i got the car towed to the engine shop (b/c i have a 24k mileage warranty) and was told that the engine is fine. they added that the spark plugs are not working and the problem is an electrical issue. i'm not sure if i trust the guy in the first place...

so where should i begin? i am broke and would like to at least try a few do it yourself moves before sending it to the dealer.

any opinions.... any suggestions will be appreciated. i'll need them quick by the way.

thanks in advance.

royce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2003, 17:12   #2 (permalink)
Algae Diesle wannabee!

Died Dead???

I realize you must have fixed it by now, but what was it? and what did you do to fix it?
How'd you go about fixing it?
Did you get a book?
Read the codes?
pay somebody?

I never heard of all six or eight plugs quitting all at once on such a short notice. Except once in a Carburated engine, it was running way too lean with too small of a Jet, and the plugs all quit at once. Got so hot they turned blue.

I just dont see how a Computer operated engine could do that without a sensor dying. Like the O'2 sensor.
I'm just guessing, but we'd sure like to hear back from you.
Old 01-24-2003, 18:27   #3 (permalink)

Engine dies

I take it that you have already checked all the fuses, possibly a connection that may have come loose with the new engine install.
94460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 09:29   #4 (permalink)
F-150 Member

Have you lost the spark???

Or have you lost the fuel??/

Check for fuel pump pressure, then if none....check the inertia switch.

If you lost spark check for a primary connection off. Something like the crank sensor. I sure could help with a little more info.
1997 Ranger
1986 LTD II
1968 Cougar
1964 Corvair Monza
Gearhead99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 09:40   #5 (permalink)
Algae Diesle wannabee!

Smile I think we're talkin to ourselves

rplimpi started that post way back in December, and the guy's not been back since.

Gearhead's Probably got the right answer though. A friend had the Inertia switch problem on his 94 Van.
He eventually replaced the switch and the problem went away.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:58   #6 (permalink)
F-150 Member

Just towed a Ford Van E250 into my shop last week. It was at a body shop being repainted.

After the repaint it wouldn't start. The owner, a company, called me and I called body shop. Body shop stated that they tried everything. Added fuel, checked inertia switch, etc. But, no fuel...must of lost the fuel pump. I had them tow it to us. Needless to say had it running is 60 seconds or less. Yep, switch was popped. I have no idea what switch they checked !!!

Anyway, take care, stay warm and GO Bucs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1997 Ranger
1986 LTD II
1968 Cougar
1964 Corvair Monza
Gearhead99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 12:10   #7 (permalink)
Algae Diesle wannabee!

Van's popped switch.

yup, this guy's ford van got to where it would pop just about everytime he put the key in the switch. Must have been some kind of static problem.
They are an inertia switch. Like a nail dangling inside a ring of steel. If you bump the car too hard, as in shutting the door, it might the nail to swing over and make contact with the ring of steel. Ford says no, but it seems like one accident and the switch is weakend or made to be just too sensitive. I'ts a booger to replace too. According to my friend.
Anyway, in replacing the switch he must have fixed it.

Too bad you have a shop!!!!
My dad had one in the 50's. Life was much simpler back then.
I did most of the ancillary stuff, and he did most of the Engine work. He finally got smart and sold it all. Went back to work for Greyhound as a Forman. I went on to a much cleaner, indoor place to work.
I still do all my own work though (with the exception of the last two very cold weeks). I'm getting real close to finishing my 77 F-150/460, but it'l wait till it gets a little warmer.
Old 01-26-2003, 13:43   #8 (permalink)

Well now I know what an inertia switch is, I am presuming that on my '94 F-250 it is behind the kick panel on the passenger side rather than at the top edge of the carpet on the passenger side? Did a search on google.com and found http://www.therangerstation.com/InertiaSwitch.html even has picture of the inside of one of the little buggers. Didn't even know that such a thing existed before, a great piece of good information.
94460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 17:54   #9 (permalink)
Algae Diesle wannabee!

frown Ah ont knowwww

I know about them switches, but I've personally never had to fiddle with one of them.
I dont even know where the switch is on my 88 F-250/7.3 or my 94 Dodge Caravan.

The Buc's are leading the Raiders 33 to 3. That's called 'Stupor Bore', and even the commercials are not so good this year.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel