Ford Forums banner

Rear Brake Drum Will not go on....

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Screwdriver 
#1 ·
I have a 1998 F-150 XLT, Just put new rotors pads, Rear Shoes, Springs, Self adjusting kit, you name it if it had to do with brakes its new. Everything went fine until i went to put the drivers side rotor on and it just will not go on. I have tried everything I have checked it over a dozen times, broken everything back down 4 times and started over. Even went out and bought
new pads thinking mine were faulty. Nothing, its just too tight. Adjuster is
backed all the way down and if the rotor does go on it just wont turn it just stays locked up. I need help.....:help:

#2 ·
I am assuming this is rear disc brakes with parking brake shoes inside the drum part of the rotor.

A common issue is the parking brake levers seize up. The cables connect right to the lever. Remove the parking brake shoes and remove the lever. Free it up and lube it up.

If that is not it, then reply back.

#3 ·
If the problem is in fact a rear brake drum not going on, it very well could also be the piston inside of the wheel cylinder are not going all of the way back in.

Some times the wheel cylinders get moisture in them causing rust and not allow the piston to go back in. That's usually a sign that the wheel cylinders need to be replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.