Rear end question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 19:51   #1 (permalink)

Rear end question

i just bought a 93 F150 2wd I-6 it had 134,000 miles. I noticed when you get up around 45 and above it kinda howls a little. It goes away when you let off the accelerator. Could this be the diff asking for oil? If so how do I fill it i.e. where is the fill plug or bolt? I looked and the only thing I could see was a bolt on the front by the drive shaft on top of the pumpkin. there is a sensor right in front of it. on the face about halfway up is what I imagine to be the drain plug. it has a square head like a 3/8 ratchet would fit. Is this the drain? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Matt
nmtatersk@netzero.com
nmtatersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 08:31   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Rear end question

Does it howl at lower speeds, any grinding? even momentarily? Any axle binding or abnormal feedback from the steering wheel?

Drain plugs will be at the bottom of the pumpkin. If it's anything like my Dodge there's a fill/check hole only, and in order to get the fluid out you'll have to siphon and then remove the diff cover to clean the magnet. If you notice gear whine when you push the go pedal you might have a more serious problem than low oil.

Take the plug out and the oil level should be right below the hole. You'll have to check with a finger. If the oil level is fine I'd remove it (change the fluid). I'd also remove the covers and check the magnets for any debris (metal shavings etc). Gear whine can mean several things, anything from the ring & pinion being on its way out to a bad clutch pack (LSD only, if so equipped), or a bearing pack (most common). While your under there be sure to change out the transfer case fluid as well if you haven't done so in the last few years or 40K.

A better case scenario (but still not the greatest) is the possibility of a bad wheel bearing. They get louder with speed the more its worn. No bearing breaks down the exact same and can be easily misjudged, so it's hard to pinpoint the source of your 'howl'.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel