Removing Radio from 97 F250 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2007, 06:38   #1 (permalink)

confused Removing Radio from 97 F250

I cannot figure out how to remove the radio from my97 F250 XL. Is there some special tool or technique I need to use?
alrobinson78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2007, 11:39   #2 (permalink)
wwb

Re: Removing Radio from 97 F250

There is a special tool for removing Ford radios of that vintage.... it's two "U" shaped heavy wire loops with notches near each free end. If you look at the face of your radio, you'll see two small holes on the right side and two small holes on the left side.... that's where the "U" shaped tools push in; spread the free ends of the tools apart, and they release little clips in the mounting rail.... then the radio pulls straight out.
wwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:53   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. I'll give that a try, assuming the tool is available at an auto parts store.
alrobinson78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 18:01   #4 (permalink)

Would 2 hangers work?
cbranje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 16:47   #5 (permalink)

The tool is available at most auto parts stores and costs very little. The U-shape also gives you something to pull on when removing the radio. You could cut 4 pieces of coat hanger and get it out. Make them about 3 inches long and insert into the holes until you feel it push the retainers back. Then work the radio out.
Old 08-18-2007, 20:29   #6 (permalink)

how do I know when I've pushed them back?

I tried some stuff today, didn't seem to work too well.
cbranje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 20:47   #7 (permalink)

It would be best to grab the tools for it. You can remove it with the wire. The clips are going to be tight, you only need to insert the wire about 2 inches, you may have to move it around a bit to pop the clips loose. You should be able to feel it hit them when you push the wire in. The clips need to release into the radio. Meaning they are attached to the radio and spread out into the bracket to lock it into place. Make sense? Gently pull on the radio while inserting the wire and you will feel the radio give a bit when you get one unlocked. I have used allen wrenches, drill bits you name it to remove them. The tool is easier though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel